Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ian, 'ow did yer do dat?

Hi Ian
How did you get the finish on cases on this one? Is it anodised and dyed, painted or just black magic? Thought I might try something similar.
Cheers
Pete

Photobucket

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Re: Ian, 'ow did yer do dat?

Hi Pete..All the parts were prepared and then blasted, all fixed fittings, bearings oil pump etc. etc. were then refitted to the cases. Next they were carefully masked up and sprayed with a self etching primer, undercoat and a satin black topcoat. It was then VERY carefully assembled. Head and barrels were powder coated in a satin finish to match...It was actually far more difficult than a blasted and polished engine..or at least required far more care during assembly..a slip with a spanner or screw driver etc. or a loss of concentration/planning when handling the engine would have meant a damaged finish and that part having to be resprayed. I even turned down the heads of the timing cover screws before polishing them to be sure they wouldn't contact the timing cover recesses when tightened!..By the way, don't try anodising as an alternative..it's fine on machined parts made from barstock but produces a dull and inconsistent finish with variable colour if applied to sand castings ...The tappet cover is a chrome one..the bulk of the rest of the fasteners are stainless..Sump plate is powder coated silver and the rocker covers were left in a 'blasted' finish as requested by the customer. Gold highlighting was applied with a very small brush using a gold enamel paint and a coat of clear varnish as a second coat...This one is currently blatting about in your neck of the woods as it is owned by an English guy who lives in Germany..It's 570cc, with scrambles cams, lightened crank, reworked head etc.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Ian, 'ow did yer do dat?

Hi Ian

Sounds like it may be a bit challenging for a cack-handed soul such as I
But it looks so nice, I may give it a go sometime, now that I have an idea what is involved

Thanks for the info!

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1