Comment
Forum picture

Interesting mudguard on this bike

It looks like a real field repair

Was this common ?

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Forum picture

I like the general look of that bike, with that protective layer of mud...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Hi John,

I didn't even notice that mudguard. I did find an other photo of such a mudguard and it could very well be the same bike.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes it's the same bike..a close examination of the two pictures shows some common features..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Do you mean the mudguard?

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

this has been shown on the forum before and it was suggested that the front mudguard is a modification because the standard mudguards were cloggging up with mud

Well, the front tip of the mudguard appears to be turned up to the same degree on both bikes which you might not expect on more than one roughly made up item. The corner of the blackout mask has the white paint rubbed off it..you can see this in both photos. The rider has a pouch of some description on his DR coats belt..this can also be seen in both photos. Also he has the back of his coat collar turned up..but not the front, quite clear in both pictures also....Ian

And there is a mark in the paint under the 'C' of the tank number which can be seen in both pictures...Ian

Do we think the same census number might be a pointer also? Seems clear enough to my eyes.

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

Same bike I'm sure

I do like the appearance of this guard - flat & functional & relevant to the conditions in that area of war

That well used look I like -

Just me again I suppose

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

And inside the tent, is that the rear end of a signals 3 tonner

Colin H
And inside the tent, is that the rear end of a signals 3 tonner

Could it be a Bedford ?

The top part of a '5' is just visible to the left of the tent pole and the spacing doesn't allow for a wide second digit.

L5130451 seems the only likely option and sure enough, it falls within the range L5130220 - L5130519 of contract S1338 - Bedford, Lorry, 3-ton 4x4 Wireless

Great minds, over the five, I thought it might have been an OYD, did not think of a QL Radio, would be nice to see it from another angle.

It's an IWM photograph from a series showing 11th Armoured Division. There are no others on line showing the wireless body but the M20 appears again.

Photobucket

It may well be that there is another image showing more of the lorry in the IWM library.

Nieuwe pagina 1