Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NEW NON REQUIRMENT FOR MOT

I have just sorted out my Mot excempt bike list, and intend to tax all I have insured that I have V5 certs for, regardless of if they are in runn ing order, I figure its best to have the paper path of road tax discs than none at all , your thoughts folks, andrew. h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: NEW NON REQUIRMENT FOR MOT

Hi Andrew

When does it come into force, November or December ?

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The date is November 18th. I'm interested to know if we will still be able to tax on line??

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I still intend to MOT all my bikes as per usual.Personally dont agree with non requirement mots for pre 1960s vehicles.This is another nail in the coffin for old vehicles, just wait for the insurance companys to squirm out of any claims you may have using a exempt vehicle that they say is unroadworthy. Also they may insist on there own inspection for any vehicle you wish them to insure which will no doubt cost more than the £25 I pay now for a mot.Also just wait for all the rusted out mk1 landrovers & pre 1960s car barn finds, bad ass bar hoppers on our roads that are nowhere up to spec for road use, we have a polish guy near us who has a well knackered austin a35.. no mot will mean a saving in fibre glass filler when mot time comes for him. Take your choice I may be wrong I hope so...

Hi Dave..I absolutely agree with you observations regarding the undesirability of MOT exemption and the likely repercussions from our dear old friends the Insurance companies and the actions of people taking advantage of the exemption..
However, before spending your MOT money it might be best to check with your insurance company that having a 'voluntary MOT' will make any difference at all to the way they react..don't forget that an MOT is only a 'certificate of roadworthiness' until you leave the MOT station in the eyes of the law..and different Insurance companies may well have different policies in this regard...
The other question yet to be clarified at this point is whether the computerised MOT system will allow an MOT test on a vehicle that does not meet the requirements. Unless there are built in exemptions I suspect not...I had a SVA car which could not be booked onto the system until I had spent days making phone calls and a 'one off' exemption code was finally issued.
It should also be noted that after we have all left the room at the MOT station the test is likely to be changed following a revue currently under way at EEC level and your old MOT exempt vehicle will be even further from the systems specification for a 'pass'.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i think this MOT exemption for pre 1960 vehicles has been put on because they wouldnt pass the EEC test that will come into force in some years time no matter what you did to your bike/car then over the next years after it comes in they will slowly ban these exempt vehicles from the road slowly slowly catchy older vehicles

A 1961 BSA isn't so very different to a 1959 BSA so if you can MOT one the computer should be able handle the other.

The insurance angle will be the problem.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

My machine being Pre 1962 will be submitted by me as usual for its annual MOT inspection in 2013

I do this as my feeling is that this is for sure the thin edge of the wedge for future restrictive use of our machines on the public highways - can call me cynical if you want. - no MOT no road tax - we are losing our voice or ability to defend ourselves.

I will gladly pay for a professional tester to observe and report any mechanical deficiencies within their inspection remit to me after which I will resolve

Although through use and primarily season driven ( summer usage), older vehicles are less likely to be involved in road traffic accidents if compared to normal traffic, all we need is a high profile accident involving older vehicles and before we know it , restrictive movement or such. Just ask the vast majority of law abiding gun owners in the uk how they were affected by the actions of 1 or 2 idiots in recent times.

Although just my opinion, I will continue to request an "MOT" to act as a reminder and to ensure continual compliance with road traffic monitors, even if as a feel good factor and to counter act any potential being dropped like a hot potato by any insurance company.

With conversations with people in the know, there is a huge threat to motorcycling being developed on a Pan Euro basis, primarily at modern bikes, but in an instance, legislation can be very quickly applied to include us - in particular in terms of exhaust emissions where some very educated but completely mis informed rappanteurs in the European Parliament are growing in numbers - where they are looking to create a blanket ban on many types of petrol driven engines, 2 stroke &'4 stroke

Ok off tae the take out now
:-D

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John,I have a GMC 353, it has never required an mot , the local HGV test center has a volunatery test that I have every other year or so, to test the brakes steering ect well worth it,is after all a five ton unladen truck but I have to be aware that the eyes are on me to make sure its right before I go,With my bikes I would of course not consider riding a bike thats unsafe and yes there are going,be many people who flout the law and there own saftey as they do now, Mot required or not, As Ian said its only a test valid on that day of the test,A stop bulb may fail the next day and the Mot cert, is then not worth much. Its the duty of the driver to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition at all times whilst driving on a public Hi,way But as I dont trust the DVLA, to keep accurate records, as an example, I Just renewed my driving licence and they just got that wrong, good job I didnt send all the old licences back,as the DVLA requested,Because they are shreded,on receipt and I would not have proof of my entitlement unless the DVLA fessed up !! so my advise is to always tax a bike and keep the old discs, you never know when you might need them to prove cotinuity of ownership And use, because that will be the next item on the agenda USE IT OR LOSE IT,Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1