Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Olive drab electroplating

Hello Oracles

I am considering powder coating my wheel rims, frame, etc. but my quandary is the combination of coating, primer, top coat...and so on.

I know that there are no definitive methods, rather many differing ideas which I am wrestling with relative merits and pitfalls.

In my quest though, I have come across a product which looks like a great idea for the spokes. See the link and let me know if anyone has tried this.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-electroplating/electroplating-kits/olive-drab-passivate-plating-module-10-litres.html

Any thoughts?

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Re: Olive drab electroplating

Could be ok for spokes! I had them powder-coated, first a desert colour base, and then RAL6014, but the combined thickness on both the spokes and the hub gave me problems, I had to remove part of the finish, and no doubt I'll have to re-tension the spokes after a couple of kilometres (sorry, miles )

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Hi Darren

In theory it does look like a good idea.

But I suspect the colour would be at best slightly different to any paint you can get. Having tried one of the home Cadmium plating kits there is an an awfull lot of work getting each component prepared and plated, so that quantity of spokes and nipples would drive you mad. And what happens if you damage a bit of the finish when you are building the wheel, you can't just touch it up again.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Darren

It sounds great, but as rob mentioned colour variation and metal surface preparation would have to be factored in

If by any chance you decide to pursue, please share with us

Best Regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I'm currently powder coating all my M20 components, there is no point getting to technical with the finish so long as you are giving th metal work a nice even and hard wearing finish, you have to realise that electroplating techniques wouldn't be authentic, but so long as you achieve the desired finish then great

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

I realise it would not be authentic, but neither is two pack or acrylic paint.
Unless I cn find a lead paint supplier, then there will have to be a compromise and I just want to get something with a hard wearing and original looking finish.

I am still pondering and will keep you informed.

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

The Wheel maker/builder I dealt with said powder coat was too brittle for wheels/hubs and recomended old fashioned cellulose paint.

Cheers Pat

Pat
The Wheel maker/builder I dealt with said powder coat was too brittle for wheels/hubs and recommended old fashioned cellulose paint.
Cheers Pat

Well, not my experience !

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

The 2 pack matt finish may be an alternative, but it is pretty hard to get consistent results unless you can control the temperature and humidity. I've just started to paint my flea and the paint seems to be pretty tough.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1