Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Effects of a wrong bend pipe (41 Matchless G3L)

Hi,

I recently made a replica of my rusted bend pipe.
I have left the rear end open(Where it connects to the silencer).
However I got to see from the forum that this is closed/blocked at the rear end and many holes are drilled around the pipe.
What will be the effects if I leave it open, apart from the sound?
Please advice

Regards
Tavery

email (option): tavery.p@hotmail.com

Re: Effects of a wrong bend pipe (41 Matchless G3L)

Hi Tavery...The type of baffle you describe has rows of holes and the output end blocked off with what is effectively a large washer. This type do not seem to be particularly restrictive and the amount of restriction (and therefore silencing and noise) can be adjusted by altering the hole sizes and the size of the hole in the output end.
There is a basic rule with most forms of silencing though...the quieter it is the more restrictive it is and it will have an effect on engine performance and carburation in some forms....
If you omit this piece altogether the effects will be more noise and you might have to slightly richen the fuel/air mixture..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Ian,

Thank you so much, can I weld a round washer so that the hole at the end is smaller than that what it is now? how about the holes drilled around the circumference? I can easily drill them here. Let me know your thoughts.

Regards

Hi Tavery...Yes you can create the baffle yourself as described. However, ensure you have enough pipe protruding into the silencer and that is not shrouded by the part of the silencer that clamps to the pipe..The drilled part is normally approx 7" long with four equally spaced rows of holes of approx 3/8" diameter. The hole in the washer is about 5/8" diameter I think. If in doubt start small...they can easily be enlarged if needed....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you so much Ian, I am really surprised at the kind of knowledge that you possess on these machines.

Regards

Nieuwe pagina 1