Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kickstarter Spring

Hello all,

Last weekend my kickstarter return spring broke on my M20. Can anyone give me some helpful tips on re-installation? I'm hoping to get it back together and ride it before the snow starts falling. Thanks to everybody for a great forum!

James

email (option): jamescusteau@yahoo.com

Re: Kickstarter Spring

Hello James,

The return spring is located on the inside of the right hand cover of the transmission box,
Wrapped around the kickstarter quadrant shaft, and is held down with one screw.

Sometimes this screw is hard to open and might need a heat with a torch,
But it is an easy fix as long as you have the spring.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi James

It's not an overly complicated job, however the gearbox on an m20 is a pigs ear to work on if compared to a triumph which was what my benchmark was

When my spring broke at Christmas break when home in Ireland I also changed the small kick start rubber you find in the outer case, Ian sells these, & although I drew more work upon myself, I changed the gear pawl return springs as they can snap at any time especially if old - they don't seem to get a lot of lube so become fragile, condensation a possible cause too, mine were rusting so I chucked them

There have been posts about the spring previously & the number of turns on it, just make sure you get one which suits the wd gearbox, I had an original nos, so was lucky - the wrong spring becomes coil bound if I remember correctly - some one here will put you right

To change I would to have the following to hand
Outer cover paper gasket
Kickstart Spring
Kickstart rubber

For optional work
Pawl return springs

Make sure that the kettle is close by for endless cups of tea or coffee, it soothes the frustration you maybe experiencing with the m20 gearbox, the only part of my bike I don't enjoy having to work on

Check the tech section - Hans Muller has placed some tips on the M20 gearbox there for us - always a good read from Hans

Other than that - enjoy !!

:-)

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hello,

I have the broken spring out, and the bolt holding it in place came out with no problems. So far so good. When the spring goes back in, does it go back in under tension with the end of the coil hooked onto the pawl?

Thanks,
James

Yes,
The spring must go back with some tension,
As it has to carry itself and the starter lever
and hold firmly against the rubber stopper,
Or else it would wiggle all the time while riding.
(What usually happens when the spring is about to break)

The static end goes back with the screw,
and the other hooks side is clipping the leading side
(Right side, if you look from inside the gear cover)
Of the quadrant teeth, while the pole inside the spring middle hole.

Good luck,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Thank you for the advice Noam. In previous post I said the pawl but I meant the quadrant, I'm going crazy!

Nieuwe pagina 1