Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is it?

Ok, I am still learning this motorcycle, so far it has been fun!
On the rear tire (tyre),on my M20 there is on valve were you put the air in, about 6 inches away is another valve? or something sticking out of the rim? What is it and what does it do?
Thanks.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

email (option): normandy@ec.rr.com

Re: What is it?

It's a security bolt. There is a rubber clamping face (for want of a better description) on the other end which is tightened down to pull the beads into the rim and stop tyre creep from pulling the valve out of the tube.

It was a feature from about 1941 and is particularly important when running low tyre pressures for off-road riding.

A modern tyre bead at road pressures is less likely to need them.

They can be quite a fiddle to fit....

Hi Frank..That is a tyre clamp...It clamps the tyre to the rim, so that when running on low pressures off road the tyre does not turn on the rim and pull out the inner tube valve....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Rik..Synchronised formation typing.. . Not bad, only 11 minutes to get a reply to a question!..Ian

What a relief that we gave the same answer...

Thanks!!!!
Do you guys ever sleep?

I sometimes cut the rubber away or fit a dummy bolt. Just to try and convince people that I intend to do some serious off roading and get my bike all muddy.

Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, did you dip this drive chain in hot paraffin, like we used to do before modern chain lubes and o-ring chains were developed?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Hi John. This chain has been soaked in melted chain lube grease. I've never heard of the hot paraffin thing? I imagine that would degrease a chain ready for lube? Ron

Actually the paraffin was the lubricant. It's a type of non-petroleum "wax." Once melted it would infuse the interior of the chain, providing great lubrication (except in hot weather, when it would fly off). Never thought of using the same process with modern grease but it seems the perfect way to preserve a drive chain on a bike that'll be put up, rather than used frequently. On the other hand, I don't know what hot grease would do to O rings, so I guess its use would be limited to standard chains only.

Back in the 1970s we would use paraffin on the zippers of our jeep tops. I helped keep the zippers from sticking.

hi,the proprietry brand was a moly-disulphide grease based product called
Link-life,came in a circular tin about 9'' diameter.
the idea was to put it on the gas stove ring with the chain lay on top of the grease ,then warm it up until the grease melted,leave it about five minutes to let the grease soak into all the nooks and crannies,then hang the chain over the tin
and let the excess drip back ready for next time.great stuff,havent seen it for years now.
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

You can still get it Rick...it's not called 'Linklife' any more but you will find it on t'internet..I still use it...Ian

hi ian,cheers for that,ill find it ,really does the job,but now perhaps outside
on the camping stove dont want to piss on the chips as they say
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

This is one of those differences of a common language! What we call Paraffin here in UK is a fuel for those old fashioned Paraffin stoves and is very good for degreasing engines and chains etc. A bit like petrol (or gas in the US)....but cheaper.
Here is my tin of chain lube which you melt just as Rick described. 'THE CHAINMAN' at uk jumbles sells it. Ron

Photobucket

Luvverly stuff, you can smell it for days afterwards in the whole house!
Called Putoline chain wax or similar now.

Photobucket

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Putoline? Must be something with a French connection: putois = skunk

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Bloody Hell! I'm guessing, Mrs Peter C was given twenty quid and packed off to M&S for the afternoon! On her return did you tell her that the smell was the bloke next door had been having his drive re-Tarmacked? Ron

Twenty quid??! Probably more like three credit cards, including one "unlimited" one!

The dishwasher comes in handy as well
Photobucket

Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Pete C
Works well, doesn't it! Does your wife know about it though?
I do my "dishes" when my wife goes to book club. She has yet to find out about it!
Regards
Peter Vlietstra

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Ron Pier
I sometimes cut the rubber away or fit a dummy bolt. Just to try and convince people that I intend to do some serious off roading and get my bike all muddy.

[:-)Ron

Ron,

I just removed an original tyre (had to hacksaw it off) and inner tube.
It has one of these tyre clamps in there (stamped wd); I wondered what it was.

Do you just put in a coachbolt ? Does it need "dishing" to fit ok ?

cheers

John

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Yes any bolt will do. Just grind the head down a bit. Or stick a piece of old inner tube over it. An irregularity in the rim wont hurt as long as there are no sharp edges. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1