Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy 2014

'65 for 65' had a nice ring to it and at the time was an aspirational target we were unsure we could meet..In the event as everyone knows the tour 'took off' and in the end was actually '144 for 65' (I'm happy to say)...
For 2014 and the 70th anniversary of D Day we are hoping for 200 bikes...Again an aspirational figure and again at this point impossible to tell whether that target will be met (or surpassed?).
Whatever happens '200 for 70' doesn't have quite the same ring to it and I suspect 70 for 70 won't bear any resemblance at all to the reality. As yet no name for the 2014 DR Tour has conveniently come up...So, all suggestions are welcome at this point...
Don't forget it will have to fit onto the tour caps and ideally will be easy to remember and stick in the mind...Images such as the 'Winged Wheel' are also possible, so rather than a name a badge/design that indicates the purpose of the event might also be possible, combined perhaps with lettering etc.
You can make your suggestions here or mail them to me direct..I won't respond to every mail but will give every suggestion due consideration...and if one of the suggestions is adopted the lucky person will get a free tour cap (and a small place in our collective history..)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Normandy 2014

Why not just call it: 2014 DR Tour or the other way around DR Tour 2014

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Why not be really optomistic and call it 2014 for 2014? Now that would be something to see and imagine the noise we'd all make together!! Oh well, maybe not, thinking caps on.

NDR Tour 2014, short for Normandy Dispatch Riders Tour 2014.
I hope to be there!

email (option): jamescusteau@yahoo.com

"DR Tour" ? Only R.Sigs invited ?

Only suggestions invited.. ...Ian

NormanDR
70 Tour

Tony
(Other half of the likely lads)

How about

soixante-dix ans de tartelettes aux fraises

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Ok, have I got that right? Google translates that as "seventy years of strawberry tarts"

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ian, what about 201X2014. John

You've got it right Horror...For those of us who are Normandy regulars the fight in the cake shop to get the last of the wonderful Tartlette de Fraise is a regular feature of our trips.. ...Ian

How about

WMD2014

Wheels of Mass Distraction 2014
We'll Meet at Dunkirk 2014
weely mad drivers 2014

or
War Memorial Despatchers 2014

Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Normandy 2014: "70Plus for 70"

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

D-Day 70th DR Tour

D-Day 70th DonR Tour (The term DonR seems to have gone out of fashion?)

D-Day 70th WD MC Tour (more accurate)

700 for 70 (nice round figure but.........)

D-Day 70th Loads of BSAs and a couple of Nortons Tour (Too sarcastic?)

Rob

What about

D-Day 2014 or D-Day 2014 "the return"

I don't mind being one of "the Few" on a Norton, you know what Winston Churchill said about "the Few"

What about

"We`ll Meet Again"
D-R Tour Normandy 2014

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Allies Together
D-R Tour
Normandy 2014

Normandy Tour 2 (The wrath of Ian)

back in green, 2014

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Its possible we won't be able to come up with such a snappy title for the next big one, but it doesn't really matter, the hats and T shirts can have a similar design to last time and the tour will be bigger and more memorable.

Personally at the moment I'm looking forward to 2013 "The D-Day 69th Tour", which will have more tarts than ever before and less Presidents.

Rob.

Hi All
looking forward to 2014

Just a thought

DRs return 2014
2014 DRs return 2014
Return of DRs 2014
DRs return France 2014
DRs in France 2014
DR revival 2014
IN The saddle 2014
On yr bike 2014
Military bikes 2014

John

I agree with Rob. Looking forward to next year also.
Personally, as a mark of respect I don't think a title should be too flippant.

'2014 MC commemoration' might be too much for a cap logo though

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm in agreement there Ron..Although we are there on a 'jolly' to a certain extent and will all enjoy the 'holiday' atmosphere (and strawberry tarts) much of the time, we mustn't lose sight of the real reason for us going to Normandy. You can be sure I would certainly never pick a Tour name that might give the impression that, as a group, we have forgotten that or that we don't fully appreciate the importance of it...Ian

How about

Normandy - 70th Anniversary
Warbikes 2104
DR Logo

D Day - 70th Anniversary
Warbikes 2014
DR Logo

It's simple and encompasses all of what we like and why we are there

To those out side our hobby, DR, WD are not terms now known by the general public and tend to call our bikes war bikes etc
The logo would be nice to be displayed as the vets proudly salute to their comrades wearing the same or similar regiment titles etc and it is recognisable by all with militaria as an interest

Just my thoughts here on a Sunday morning

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

How about

Normandy - 70th Anniversary
Warbikes 2104
DR Logo

D Day - 70th Anniversary
Warbikes 2014
DR Logo

It's simple and encompasses all of what we like and why we are there

To those out side our hobby, DR, WD are not terms now known by the general public and tend to call our bikes war bikes etc
The logo would be nice to be displayed as the vets proudly salute to their comrades wearing the same or similar regiment titles etc and it is recognisable by all with militaria as an interest

Just my thoughts here on a Sunday morning

Job

I don't know John, try googling "warbikes".

Whatever we call the tour its essential that we show that we are seperate from all the other Normandy 2014 Tours running at the same time and in the same area.

DR is technically Signals only and leaves out all the other services that used motorcycles and who also fought on 2 or 3 wheels, however many of these other motorcyclists also delivered messages from time to time.

DR as an acronym is probable harder for most people to see than MC, and I'm sure that a lot of people that see us wearing our caps think we are "Doctors", but I'm happy to continue with DR for the sake of continuity.

We can't repeat our pevious moto "65 for 65" without repeating our goal which would make "200 for 70". Or we could wait until after the tour and have caps made with our GWR total eg "299 for 70".

I like the idea of having 2014 as next step from 2009 so I feel we should keep to a similar format.

Which makes my vote:-

200 FOR 70 (or our final figuer if the caps are made afterwards)
Winged wheel motif
NORMANDY D.R TOUR

Photobucket

Rob

Producing the caps after the event is not really an option because of the logistics of packing and posting around 200 caps..whereas they can be delivered to Normandy 'gratis', for people to pick up and wear at the event...Ian

War bikes - just googled it but can still imagine this is not what the average observer will be thinking of if seen thundering through France

Sorry Rob - having a very lazy Sunday after participating in Time travel last night - :-D

In fact, do we need a hat - why not consider donating the money we would have spent towards a good cause - military or veterans associations - the huge success of help for heroes ( rightly so ) has affected cash flow to other organisations and has caused many to drop below the radar in terms of donation priority

Lets consider supporting getting some vets there for the last time and leave the "nice to have a hat" budget aside for them

I'm open to anything - although I have a 65 for 65 hat - it's the people, memories, photos, videos and the vets I was lucky to meet which makes 2014 the target for me

Job

Hi John...I agree that Help for Heroes has had a detrimental effect on some other charities...and I donate to the Army Benevolent Fund and The British Legion at various times because of that...However, personally I don't think the Normandy Tour is, or was intended to be, a vehicle for raising charitable donations. Going to Normandy is primarily an act of rememberance and the 65-65 Tour was specifically organised to honour and remember the Motorcyclists who took part in the liberation of Europe.
The cap serves as a physical momento and also as a recognition of an individuals participation and I value mine (and I presume others do as well) for those reasons....
To me it is therefore specifically part of the event...
I would be interested to hear the views of others on this subject now you have raised it..Ian

John O'Brien

In fact, do we need a hat - why not consider donating the money we would have spent towards a good cause - military or veterans associations - the huge success of help for heroes ( rightly so ) has affected cash flow to other organisations and has caused many to drop below the radar in terms of donation priority

Job

Hi John

Charity is a seperate issue and its up to every individuel how much they give, and where does this type of "guilt" thinking lead, what will be the next thing to give up for a "good cause"?

Rob

I understand that a name was chosen last time, but is it actually a 'tour' ? Would 'parade' be a more accurate description, or even 'campaign' ?

Regardless of the June 1944 date, I shall also be thinking of the poor blighters who had to dump their bikes four years earlier.

I'd quite like the sound of something with 'WD M/C' in it.

If the name is only about what to put on the 'gimme' hat then I probably shouldn't interfere as you'll never catch me in anything more modern than a tweed cap.

I'm beginning to get the feeling I shouldn't have mentioned it..OK..Lets start again...As things currently stand a name has to be found for the 2014 trip to Normandy...Irrespective of whether you think there should be a cap or not...or whether you think it is a tour, pilgrimage, perambulation, campaign or anything else..or whether you think there should be a cap or a T Shirt..
In fact whatever your view...if you have a suggestion for a name please make it...if you don't have a suggestion for a name don't post, or alternatively start another post to discuss the principles involved !!...Ian

Call it what you like. If I can get pissed-up in a field and talk about old motorcycles, I'm happy anywhere !

Great suggestion Rik...very constructive....Ian

Ian, I'm sorry if I've come over as unduly flippant. I've actually racked my brains trying to come up with something relating to a 70th anniversary meeting and War Department motorcycles but there are some ungainly words there with no standardised abbreviations.

The aspirational number of participants is a difficult thing. It seems likely that last time's total will be exceeded but it would be more than painful if the total fell short.

It will probably be the largest number of military motorcycles in a row since the post-war disposals. How about 'Ruddington Revisted' ? ....There I go, being flippant again.

A huge amount of effort goes into planning and coordinating one of these 'tours' and turning what everyone agrees is a great idea into a reality..I learnt that the hard way last time. This time some input from additional people will be needed if the 2014 'tour' is going to take place.
The name for the event is one detail among many, many others that has to be addressed and resolved, so I have thrown it open for suggestions....I hope from these there may be a good one, or something that can be worked with.
All that is required is for the problem to be approached with some gravitas and suggestions put forward.
I'm sure some might think it's all a great laugh...and anyone who thinks that is welcome to step up and take the job on...Rest assured it will soon take the smile off your face..
There are, I'm sure, also many opinions on how the whole thing should be done and anyone is free to express those views as well..either here on the forum or directly to me off forum...and if there is a concensus around a particular idea that will be given consideration...I, and others, have already invested quite a bit of our time (and some of our money) into this project...
You may think I am being a bit 'prickly' over this...but f*****g about isn't going to get anything resolved...and it does all have to be resolved...Ian

Hi Ian, as you say, taking into account the reason why we are there, what about having the three words that everyone relates to "Lest we forget" above or below the winged logo.

Ian W is correct. We need something simple and catchy that is easy for all to understand what the event we are trying to achieve is about. Personally I wouldn't want something like " Lest We Forget" It's fine in its place on a memorial or grave stone but much to sombre for our occasion.

It's about a group of blokes in 2014 on allied WD motorcycles. "As it says on the tin" I would put forward something just like that.

WD MOTORCYCLE TOUR 2014.......Or something similar and maybe spaced around the winged wheel logo. I don't think there's any need to get into anything too witty or a numbers guessing game.

My two penneth. Ron

Ok..this might be a case of 'a camel being a horse designed by a committee'...
However, this, I think, incorporates some of the views expressed so far..
'Gathering' could be substituted with Tour, event, etc....Views on this one?....IanPhotobucket

Hi Ian

It says everything we need it too.

My only observation is that it appears to welcome motorcycles of all nations, but I realise it will be made clear in any written rules, forms ect what will be eligible to take part, so its not a real problem.

Rob.

Looks good Ian, it sums it up in a few words, including Allied would narrow it down but how far do you go. Ian.

Perhaps a 'Broad Arrow' could be inserted somewhere, to make it clear we are on Brit bikes

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

I'll see if it can be 'refined' with the addition of an 'Allied' element (it wasn't just Brits after all but many other nationalities and bikes from more than one country)...However, to get everything on there..WD, D Day, 200, 70th., Allied etc. etc. would need a 'ten gallon hat' so some compromise must be made..Perhaps the word 'Military' could be replaced with the word 'Allied'?..Ian

like this?Photobucket

I'm a bit worried about you Ian H. You were very quick with that embroidery!!

Great Stuff

Somehow though the word 'Gathering' has that Druids at Stonehenge sound about it....Whereas 'Tour' has a more military sound about it.....I dunno though! I'm just a private from Poole.

Ron

Thank you Ron, I think its my feminine side coming out This ones for you Ron but running out of caps Did`nt the Druids dance naked around the stones, now thats a thought, wearing nothing except our Don R Boots Looks good !Ian.

Don R boots and caps surely?...Nice work Ian...I'm not that good on the computer...or the sewing machine.. ...It seems we may be getting there..
Any views on the use of 'gathering'?..or rather, name your preferences now...Ian

I like the use of 'Allied'. It might help avoid unwelcome confusion on the day.

I preferred 'Gathering' as more indicative of what happens, as to me a tour implies keeping on the move. Don't Druids have 'convocations' ?

'Gathering' as in 'of the clans' has a fairly warlike feel to it.

Is the logo commemorating the whole period or more particularly the new record attempt ? If the latter then would it be better termed a parade ?

Hi Rik..It's really the whole event of which the record attempt will only be a part....Ian

I quite like that last cap of Ian H's Ron

I like that one as well Ron, just playing around now

All three of the designs visualised on caps by Ian are potential 'final versions' for 2014 in my opinion...So, some more feedback please to determine peoples preferences. Further suggestions are still welcome as well....Personally I like (in order of posting) '2' and '3' with a slight leaning towards '3' at this point as it includes the most information...Ian

Yep I'll second No3.

Ron

Yes, I`ll go for No3 as well Ian.

Agree number 3 looking the favoutite but adding to the debate,how about using either 'Embarkation' or 'Liberation' somewhere?
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Maybe Rinco and Margaret can do these at a good price?
So far the third one does not look bad. I may even want one?

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

The third one is my choice. Will the design be available for applying to other garments ? The Rinco / Margaret option would be a good one then as we could order direct.

Hi Rik..The final design could be made available. I have already e mailed the supplier I used last time, so in fairness must await a response from them before considering other options.....Ian

Yep no three looks good Ian, I know Im not booked on but I will return, and be there andrew H.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hat 3 is good, it would have been nice to get 70th in there somewhere as that is what we're commemorating, but I think we should have "LEST WE FORGET" on the back of the cap.

No 3 for me as well

Shouldn't it be British instead of allied? Or are Harleys welcome also

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

No it's Allied motorcycles Henk. Harley's, and Indian's welcome. No BM's or Zundaps though. Ron

I know there are so manny civilised M20 in Holland i think more than the green ones.Bud not only BSA olso Norton Matchless Triumph HD etc. Real War bikes .I knew there is a Hype to make them now green as a frog. Am i an Alien if i am goin to Normandie 2014?? Gr. Theo Schipper

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Ian did spell out the criteria right at the start. Due in part to some upsets we had on the 65th. All allied motorcycles from WW2 are welcome. But they must be prepared in army trim. NOT EX WD IN CIVY TRIM. That is anyone from anywhere. As you say Theo. Everyone has about 18 months to put their ex WD bike back into frog coulour Ron

Ok folks

I'm up for a hat - whatever it may say, we all share the same feelings and objectives about our up and coming 2014 adventure

No 3 looks good

Can i buy the first one please :-D

Ian I have tried to contact you about something I think will help in the organisation of the event - waiting to hear back from you

Best regards

Job

Hi John..Could you mail me ref. 2014?..thanks Ian

Hi Ian

2 mails sent

1 with attachment for you to view

Job

No. 3 to me as well. How will this look on a (T-)shirt?

email (option): p.pauwels@hetnet.nl

No3 looks great Ian, put me down for one please and I'm happy to pay up front of course. I will say I liked the font of the first ones on the 65th, less fussy, Kit

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

i think i have solved the problems just get all the names suggested embroided on the hi vis we all will have to wear

Ian, I am really struggling on one point. If I wanted to bring along an original impressed motorcycle which had a C number from the date it left the factory in civilian paint, then under your rules I would not be allowed to do so. However, if someone brought along a WD bitza that they assembled from parts then they would be allowed to do so provided its painted green. This cannot be correct. Cheers John

Hi John...I have some sympathy with the owners of machines that are being regarded as 'anomolies' in the context of this event.
However, the event isn't just about 'what it is' but importantly 'what it appears to be' to the wider public, Guiness etc.
For example..A pre war BMW sidecar outfit supplied to the Dutch Army, a purported (though not verified) example of which appeared on the day at the 65-65 run, could reasonably by absolute definition be regarded as an Allied Forces Motorcycle..However, to the onlooker who knows little of such things it is a (very familiar looking) German Army sidecar outfit. Such an observer might deduce that the so called Allied Forces Motorcycle parade wasn't too accurate, or fussy. For that reason alone I wouldn't sanction one, as it doesn't 'fit' visually into the parameters of the event and therefore could affect the impression given to a less informed public.
Like wise with an impressed bike in civilian finish..to the casual onlooker it's just a civilian bike with a number on the tank.('that's not a proper Army bike' etc.)
I'm sure a similar conclusion would be drawn about a civilianised Army bike as well.
So to maintain the visual effect of a 'Military' bike event and to unambiguously represent the purpose of the event, it seems to me a military finish is a neccessary prerequisite.
As far as a military 'bitza' goes, machines must be 'allied forces military motorcycles presented in a military specification and finish'...If a 1942 M20 is built from the frame upwards using 1942 parts from various sources it is still essentially a 1942 M20...in fact Reme workshops frequently put together machines that were a 'mismatch' of parts themselves...As to 100% correctness of specification for a given year I'm not even going there!. However, note in the wording in relation to bitzas.. 'military SPECIFICATION and finish'...Ian

Hi Ian,
What is the date schedule of this event? Will you accept Jungle rats' motorcycles?

I'm restoring mine as you know and she should be ready for Jun 2014 . I have no historical data, but I have found that the 7th Armoured Brigade came in Italy in 1944 and remained here - fighting - till the end of the war. So, as my bike is from 1943, and the 7Th Brigade was in the Middle East at that time, I have decided to restore her in Sand Khaki with the Green/Jungle Rat (Jerboa) insignia and Unit markings (52 -> 6th RTR).

We were, my wife and I, at the Omaha Beach last 2009. It was late September. Nobody around. But it has been a very impressive experience thinking to all these young guys who lost their life there. We want to come as well and commemorate them with all of you.

Cheers
Daniele

email (option): drossi54@hotmail.it

Hi Daniel...No problem with desert paint finishes. There are 12 bikes coming from Malta, some in desert finish, some in Malta camouflage...and there are quite a few 'desert bikes' from other countries....Ian

hi ian..my vote goes to no 3 as well...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

T-shirts

Is it feasable to take the names of all those who register to go on our trip and get our names printed on the back of the t-shirt? I thought it was a great idea to get some caps and T's done last time and very pleaased I've got one of each, so was just thinking as a suggestion (maybe trickey to get 200 on the back I guess)

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Hi Kit...There are no plans for T shirts for the event. The ones for 65-65 were done afterwards as an 'extra'.
The caps are a 'one size fits all' deal and therefore reasonably simple to produce and distribute. With T's the sizes come into it and complicate matters. Also the caps are pretty durable...to get the same in a T shirt requires a good quality shirt which has to be sourced..However, if any individual wants to take on the task of processing the orders, handling the money, sourcing quality shirts, sorting the artwork/colours etc. and taking on distribution in Normandy (or by mail) then be my guest....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1