Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1943 Harley on ebay

Anyone fancy a WW2 Harley, needs a slight bit of work to put it back into the correct military trim. Ebay number 330814603324. It made me feel quite ill, but each to their own I suppose?

Re: 1943 Harley on ebay

That takes me back, I had a WLC like that about 25 years ago.
I know the bloke who owns it now, and it is being returned to proper military trim.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

15 years ago I would have described its as the NUTS!!

email (option): damian153@hotmail.co.uk

Don't be tempted. They are the biggest and heaviest underpowered piece of unrideable piles of dung. A friend just got rid of a '47 WL. The forks are useless with about 1 inch movement, the gearbox is '20's vintage with hit and miss changes, t6he clutches are crude and they handle like a bucket of shit! Give me a pommy V twin anyday!Only rose coloured glasses make them desirable!

Very nice Douglas! If you mention a big 1930s British twin to anyone, they automatically think Brough Superior, but you've only got to look at your photo to see there is more to life than Broughs. My brother is working on one of these AJS twins at the moment. He's still missing a few bits, but can't wait to see it finished.

i think people call them harley furguson because they handle like a tractor

Hello all, especially Douglas and Roger:
Each to his own. One may view the WLA/WLC as a tractor, a piece of dung, or a valued piece of history. It is a matter of perspective. I take the latter view as its contribution to the war effort outweighs its shortcomings.

I just finished a 1943 741B Indian and 42WLA and am working on a 1943 BSA M20. It will be a nice photo op to see all three lined up in militray trim for all to see.

My WLA is a beautiful machine and sits in my garage as a stark reminder of what was at stake in the war and its presence and display in public honors the men and women that served.

I value my WLA, 741B Indian, and BSA M20 equally for its place in history, not on the basis of handling, performance, etc.

Lighten up gentlemen on the derogatory comments.

Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

For us in Amsterdam, May 1945 they were vehicles from heaven...
The West Riding Division DR's rode BSA, Norton and also WLC as far as a 13 year old can remember

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

I've nothing at all against the old wartime Harleys, far from it, which is why I mentioned the customised one on ebay. I just thought it was a real shame to have done such a thing to a nice old bike when, if you really want a bike that looks like it came from a fairground, there are plenty of more recent, less historic bikes you could have customised, but I suppose, each to their own.

Noting wrong with a Harley i own one WLC and ride it i ride olso a 741 and M20 Is a bantam and a Broug Superior olso The Same motorcycle?? Gr. Theo.S

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1