Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
miller horn dipswitch installation help (sorry i must be an idiot) :)

Hi,

Trying to install the dip switch with my bsa m20 horn. However it seems like I need more wires. It has four lead but try as I may, I cant figure out where they go to. If three wires go to the lights, then there is not a ground for the horn. ETC. Please help and thanks again

miller horn

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: miller horn dipswitch installation help (sorry i must be an idiot) :)

Jeff the wire from the horn to the push is the earth (ground) You put a live feed to one horn terminal the other wire goes to the push which grounds the horn through the handlebar. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

will it be grounded through the paint or will i possibly have to remove some of it? And does the ground work the same as you described even though it has four leads from the push/ dip switch?

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Jeff you will have to remove some paint to get an earth for your horn button or run a separate earth wire from the horn attachment bolt to a suitable earth bolt on the frame.
The four wires are:- 1) from your light switch to dip switch. 2-3) back to each filament of your bulb. 4) to horn.

Originally of course it probably wouldn't have had a dip switch! Just a horn push for your right thumb. These period horn pushes are still readily available. I then usually fit a period looking dip switch on the left side. These horn push's only have facility for one wire. I prefer to bare a small amount of paint behind the clamp rather than clutter up the bar with another wire. I've never had an issue with handlebars rusting away

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Great advice again thanks. I removed a little paint and have a good ground. However I think I will have to remove a little paint at my handle bar clamps also to complete the ground :( Do you agree?

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Jeff,

Ground or earth from the handlebars needs to get back to the battery ground somehow. I always use a meter set to loop to check for continuity dont forget that you can get a reading as the loop is tracking down the clutch or throttle inner cable, not ideal! So best remove some paint from under the clamps. But if you have no ground or earth wire in the wiring harness the ground will find its way back through the steering head bearings.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

I usually run an extra earth wire from the clamp that holds the horn switch to the bars back to an earthing point on the bike...then there is no doubt...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1