Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture Airborne G3Ls

A very nice picture.

Have these bikes had the pannier equipment removed for lightness or do they predate pannier bags?

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Forum picture Airborne G3Ls

Rob, I believe that the airborne forces were fist on the list for the G3L and the ones I have photographs of all have early C numbers. Therefore I would suggest that this was before the universal pannier frame were fitted. Cheers John

Is that a Horsa? What are they stuffing into it?

Hi Tom,

That's an Airspeed Horsa glider MK1. The MK2 could let the tail off to stuff the equipment in (Jeeps/trailers/motorbikes).

regards,

ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

The original picture has another glider landing in the background, so I assume they are "unstuffing" it.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi there,

Yes, they are unloading the glider as you can see the man lying on the ground on the far left upperside of the photo. The glider infantrymen were supposed to post around the glider, after landing, so the others could unload it safely. As regarding to the 2 motorcyclists it must be an exercise, otherwise they wouldn't be standing around this relaxed, with no real enemy around firing at them.

regards,

ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

That's the back end of a Jeep. Presumably they are bumping it round to get it in...or out. Looks like a tight squeeze. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Tight squeeze indeed: the right hand front mudguard support had to be
removed for this manouvre.
Usually they would unload after landing (on its belly) by taking the rear section of the fuselage off, and thsu enabling the jeep to be driven out. This photograph could be training where they did not want to use all the proper procedures?

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1