Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Millitary green paint

Hello, Perhaps somebody can help me, I bought a small can of millitary green paint from a supplier in Cornwall, it was chosen from the paint samples that he sent to me. The actual paint is way to light, i sent him the head steady to show to him the difference in shades I have just spoken to him and was told that he had had it in stock for a long time and his supplier has told him that it has gone light through age !. For him to supply me with the correct colour as per his colour sampe that is the same as my sample head steady I must buy five litres from him as that is the minimum that his supplier will supply him with, I am not impressed !.

Please can somebody let me know a alternitive supplier.

email (option): pat.slinn@btinternet.com

Re: Millitary green paint

I'm not convinced that paint goes lighter with age? Not when it's kept wet in a tin anyway. It may sound a bit patronizing, but have you given the paint a really, really good stir?

Hi Pat, I had similar problems with my paint supplier, so I bought matt green and brown paint and mixed it myself to make khaki green no3. I'm pleased with the colour but it cost me a fortune as I used 2 pack paint.

What type of paint have you bought?
You could buy some darker green paint and add it, using a very small amount at a time. The colour soon changes and you've gone too much the other way. Also the dry colour is different than the paint in the tin, so brush a bit on a piece of card, then the next sample to it etc, so you can see the difference and until it matches the colour you want.
That's got to be the cheapest option.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

i read a small article saying that because of that cellusose paint being non compliant that acrylic paint is being used saying it can be used over cellusose but not the other way round 2 questions how strong is acrylic is in the chip/scratch department and then can you not get acrylic from your DIY paint mixers

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

You can buy any kind of paint that is contemporary to your vehicle by downloading a form from English heritage which you can provide with your order, but in reality you usually never need it as they never ask for it. spraying 2k matt is quite difficult as you have to literally dust it on to achieve a matt finish. What I do is spray lots of the paint on on the first few coats after initially dust coating it, this is to get the thickness of paint, which usually means that it goes on as a satin or gloss finish, then when it has fully dried I use a fine scotch pad to scuff it back down to a matt finish, then start laying on more dust coats which seem to be very sensitive to the distance you are spraying from, the volume of paint you put on and the air pressure that you put it on from. It is quite deceptive as you don't think it is going on "wet" so you tend to put more on resulting in a higher gloss level, so you have to put faith in the fact that even though it is going on as a "dust" it is actually adhering to the previous layer of paint

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Lincoln Bill
I'm not convinced that paint goes lighter with age? Not when it's kept wet in a tin anyway. It may sound a bit patronizing, but have you given the paint a really, really good stir? [/quot That was the reason given to me by the supplier, he says he was told that by his supplier.

email (option): pat.slinn@btinternet.com

Another problem that I come across working with bikes and people in the motor trade is that some supplier use the paint mixing scheme for one manufacturers paint,then start putting another suppliers paint (supposedly the same colour) in to the other manufacturers set up and it throws the whole system out as the paint has different opacity or shade to the original. One paint supplier in our area used a "Lechler" paint system and recipies for the colours and I once had to go round into the back of the shop and guess what? Only about half of the mixing scheme had "Lechler" the rest were any type of paint that they could lay their hands on, strangely enough the problem I went there with was a way off colour match that they swore blind was mixed correctly, needless to say lots of the people in the area stopped using them for the same reason. Maybe this is the problem. I find when it comes to paint the person who mixes the paint is "never wrong" (read wrong)when it comes to bad colour matches and it is always something you are doing wrong! What I find odd is that any army paint is acceptable within quite a wide margin of shades, so the supplier of yours must have been a mile off. The only thing I can say is that if you used a white or light coloured primer it could throw the first and possibly the second coat off a little bit, but as the layers build up it should be the correct colour. If you find that your green colour is too "greeny" you can add yellow and this gives it a more earthy tone

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

spraying what happened to the good old 4" paint brush as issued to all squaddies to paint anything even a bicycle

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1