Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
b type gear box sleave gear clearance

Hi every body
I am slowly piecing back together WM20-109711. This came to me in bits. I had a box of gearbox parts enough for 2 and have managed to select enough parts to build a good complete unit. It is the later model box M and B( 66-3041 ). I have found that the main shaft end float is excessive and that the Sleave gear bushes are worn. I would like to know what the sleave gear bushes were made of ( bronze,steel backet etc ) and what the clearance should be between main shaft and sleave gear bush's. I do have a lot of info and Henks DVD but can't find these details. I suspect the end float should be about 0.010 with gasket in place. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Cheers
Phil

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Re: b type gear box sleave gear clearance

Hi Phil...Start off by looking at the mainshaft where the bushes run..this should have a smooth surface for the bush to run on. If it hasn't the shaft can be lightly ground to clean in a cylindrical grinder to restore the surface (the shafts are through hardened). Alternatively you can achieve a reasonable result by putting the shaft in a lathe and cleaning up the surface with some oil and a flat oilstone. Check for size and parallelism as you go.
Size for a new shaft is .872"-.873" on this part.
Bushes can be made from a suitable bushing bronze such as PB1...but NOT Oilite or similar....Clearance between the bushes and shaft after final finishing to size should be .0015"-.0035".
When fitting bushes to the sleeve gear fit the inner one first..This has three oil holes through it. These holes run through the gear at an angle to the axis of the bush and if you try to drill them in place the drill will snap as it breaks through. So, press the bush in...mark it by drilling onto its outer diameter...then press it out, drill the three holes through the bush (they can safely be a little larger than the holes in the gear) and press it back in taking care to correctly align the holes.
Next press in the bush at the outer end and then bore the bushes to finished size applying the correct clearance to the the shaft size. Allow .001"-.0015" interference fit between the bush O.D. and the gear bore when making bushes...Ian

Forgot to mention...I usually set shaft end float to .005"-.010"...Ian

Hi Ian
Thanks for the info. I have noticed that the inner bush has been worn on its end in a tapered fashion. Been rubbing on the ridge at the end of the main shaft.This is where the extra end float will be i suspect. So hopfuly new bushes will take up most of this. Thankes for excellent advice as always.
phil

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Nieuwe pagina 1