Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA Smiths Speedo

Currently I'm restoring my bike which I've just inherited, when I sent all the compenents to the Shot blasters to get rid of the purple hand painted mess I discovered that the speedo housing was actually Brass with a white painted inner to reflect the light, would the bike still be authentic if I left the speedo housing as polished brass as all the photos seem to show this housing as the Olive Green paint job?
Your feedback would be gratefully received.

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Re: BSA Smiths Speedo

The standard case of a Smiths Chronometric (whether the later type or the earlier Jaeger pattern) was steel.

I'd suspect that someone has spun a replacement from brass. How are the studs attached ? Does it have any markings ?

Thanks Ric, I'll take some pictures when I'm down at the Shot Blasters as I was only told about this over the phone, I also assumed it should of been steel. Are there any markings I should be looking for?

Resolved the issue with the Speedo, the top nut securing the glass to the steel housing is Brass and I've seen photos that suggest that this should remain in natural brass, looks quite fitting to show off a little bit of quality engineering.

Kind regards,

Julian

Resolved the issue with the Speedo, the top nut securing the glass to the steel housing is Brass and I've seen photos that suggest that this should remain in natural brass, looks quite fitting to show off a little bit of quality engineering.

Kind regards,

Julian

Kind regards,

Julian

Nieuwe pagina 1