Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
your thoughts

saw on line one of these motorcycle towing devices where you just put the front wheel in it and tow the bike with the rear wheel on the ground would you think say 60mph would be to fast for the rear wheel bearing/gearbox not that i am going to use one

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: your thoughts

I heard a story once about these things. The story goes that a chap was towing a bike when the chain snapped and got caught between the frame and back brake plate, thus locking the back wheel on. He knew nothing about it and when he eventually arrived at his destination the tyre and much of the rear wheel had worn away to nothing and the thing was on fire due to the friction? Probably an urban myth? Sounds like it could happen though, but surely a worst case scenario?

I have one of these hookups and have used it, if not at 60 mph, certainly over 45 mph, with no incident. The chain issue is probably specific to that chain and it seems that the incident described by Lincoln Bill means that by towing the bike with the defective or maladjusted chain he may have saved himself from a spill when, eventually, he actually rode the bike and the chain broke while he was riding it. If you are concerned about that, either remove the chain or adjust it so that it doesn't break or, just as important, does not jump the sprockets if it's loose. When riding the bike under power the upper portion of the chain is in tension and the lower is loose, but when towing, the opposite is true, so if there is some difference between the upper geometry and the lower, it is possible that the chain will jump under towing even if it would not jump when riding under the bike's own power. Unlike automatic transmissions in cars, gear boxes are not damaged by towing the drive wheel (assuming, of course, that the gearbox oil is at the proper level and that it's in neutral). Single-clutch automatic transmissions are damaged if towed more than a few hundred feet. More generally, the bike's running gear has to be in reasonable condition. For example, if the rear wheel bearings are dry, you'll have the same problem with towing it as you would if you rode it.

What you need to be very careful about is properly tying the bike to the towing vehicle, as it is easy for the bike to tip over when taking a turn. You can only tie the front fork/handlbars, leaving the part aft of the yolk to articulate. If you tie the frame (or any part attached to the frame) to the towing vehicle without leaving the frame free to articulate then, when you are taking a turn, one side of the bike will be pulled "sideways" by the outside tie strap - a sure recipe for disaster. Also (sorry if I'm telling you the obvious) you need to really slow down on turns, to compensate for centrifugal forces. The first time I used mine the Velocette I was towing started tipping as soon as I pulled out into the street. If I had not been keeping an eye on it through the rear view mirror it would have hit the ground. I stopped and adjusted the straps and made it home without further incident, about 25 miles. I still have the rig and have used it after that. (PS. I also still have that bike - undamaged.)

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

I agree John, if the chain was going to break, it would have gone anyway and wasn't anything to do with the towing device. These things must work OK as you see them being used from time to time and there seem to be plenty of people selling them nowadays.

I can't believe that somebody towed a bike with a locked back wheel, firstly the drag would be noticeable and if the wheel rim had ground down the noise and sparks would be horrendous. The only way they could not notice is if the where deaf (or had a Marshall amp on their stereo) and didn't use their mirrors.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

I did say it sounded like an urban myth, good story though. That said, some folks do seem to drive around in a little world of their own and take no notice of anything except the person on the other end of their mobile phone, so you never know?

Nieuwe pagina 1