Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel building

Hi all!

Been a while, finally got some more time to work on the bike. I'm on the wheels at the moment.

I'm restoring myself and plan to buy a new set of spokes.

Couple of questions:

Are the any tips on where best to buy reasonably priced spokes?

Second question is...I'll lace the wheel myself, but will then hand over to a professional to get them properly trued up etc. will I need to give him details of any offsets etc? Or anything else?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Re: Wheel building

You certainly will need the off set spec Andy. ( I asume you are talking M20?) It is published in the standards book. But far better to give your bloke the frame and get him to set the wheels in line with the centre of frame. Be careful with the front wheel, as this is not in the centre of forks. Which has been discussed at length on this site recently.
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1236345&cmd=show

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron - yes, it's an M20, 1940.

Where can I get hold of this standards book, sounds very useful!

Also, do you have any advice on where best to get the spokes, and if its worth paying extra for stainless steel?

I just took the galvanized ones, and had them powder-coated in RAL 6014, using a special jig; if you want pics and description I can mail them.

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Andy,

I don't know where you are but Central Wheels are very good. They supply most of the smaller outfits with spokes, rims etc as well. You'll find them at http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/spokes/spokes.html, in Coleshill. I would guess that with an M20 they will know the offset, spoke type etc as they do a lot of stuff for the motorcycle museum in Birmingham.

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1