Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wesco Oil Can Colour

I've now got a collection of three Wesco oil cans with the folding spouts, one is silver, one is gold and the other is red. What would be the correct colour for a wartime issue Wesco can?

Re: Wesco Oil Can Colour

I've seen them in orange and also yellow, they had the remains of transfers on them so I guess they were the original paint, but I'm not sure which one was the original wartime colour. My own has no paint on it at all or plating and it appears that that one hasn't been blasted or wire brushed, so they may have done them in raw steel too

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1220606&cmd=show

That's very interesting, none of mine have any remains of the transfers on them. I wonder if anyone has any transfers or are doing repro ones? I suppose my red one could actually be an orangey red? All three of mine have the cast brass tops, it's interesting that you say some had pressed steel tops Clive? I've been back through the archives and I see that this has actually been discussed before, should have checked first. Who'd have thought something as simple as an oil can would cause so much comment?

everything does when deeply investigated......pity that most see these details as a source of useless information. even this post itself proves that there is little interest.
in tools that were supplied with vehicles there are huge lacunae since they are not shown in pictures and partslists omit details. moreover, since the MOD reasoned that 'since the tool did the job its OK' it further increases confusion.
i am always interested to see pictures were toolkits appear,toolkit inspections (an important event in a military vehicle's service life) illustrated partlist pages etc.......the more i find the better if anyone can help.

The rumour goes that reproduction spout caps will be available soon. `

Wesco oilcan

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Great photo Henk, nice to see what the transfers should look like. I am missing the cap from two of my cans, so repro spout caps would be a great bit of news, repro transfers would also be good.

i'd be interested in spout caps once theya re reproduced.
transfer replicas can be made from loads of companies. i have tried to contact people in the US who can reproduce them however when i was quoted the price (around 80 dollars!) i retired immediatly. for a military type pyrene instruction decal someone asked me for 150 dollars.....

Keep an eye on the forum, Jan has borrowed one of my caps.

Henk

Steady on chaps ! The first of these caps has been made to special order !

Henk, do you have a view on the correct wartime colour ? Mine is a bronze coloured cast top example but I'd suspect that the mustard colour is earlier ? The bronze has a bit of a 1950s lookto my eyes.

I wonder if Bob Derrick at Classic Transfers would consider a Wesco transfer ? He makes some very obscure motorcycle stuff for which there can be very little demand and if a few of us here took one and Henk some for stock, I'm sure that it would be worthwhile. It's very much an 'artwork' transfer rather than a set of printed instructions. Ron is in touch with Bob a lot, isn't he ?

Since Bob started his battle against cancer, he said he wouldn't take on any more art work, stating that he and Marcia will just concentrate on supplying transfers from stock. Having said that, he has still produced a few one off's. I can always ask him the question if someone provides me with a proper example to copy. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have no idea what the correct colour could be to make it war time. The only war time image we have of such a thing is in the Training movie. Here a photo take from the movie, your guess is as good as mine. I always had the idea that the brass top would make it early- and the metal top late-war.

I have no idea how much transfers has to be made and sold to break even. I think that with the cans I have I have just about one complete image when I put them together in photoshop. I have no problem providing a good image if anybody has plans to do the transfer.

Henk

Wesco oil can

Ron,

do you have any idea if he ever did the british pyrene one?

Photobucket

I have send an email to http://www.pelders.nl/ with a question about Wesco transfers, I'll let you know what happens. Pelders sells very nice transfers for many many many different makes of motorcycles.

Henk.

Clive I have bought the Pyrene transfers off someone here in Dorset. I'll try and locate him and see if he still makes them. Ron

Yes Clive I just phoned the guy (in Somerset actually... he has no email) He makes the war time Pyrene transfers at £5 each. Let me know if you want any and I can act as go between. They are water slide transfers and I remember that you have to be very careful with them as they are quite a delicate item....but I managed ok. Ron

Ron,

i'd like to buy 3 if they are the proper wartime ones, with the trademark etc.

cheers

Currently doing the artwork for the transfers, but if anyone beats me to it, let me know, and I'll go and do something more profitable!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

OK Clive I'll order them and get back to you with a picture. Ron

PS. I've got three on their way to me. I'll scan and post on here when they arrive.

Morning Ron, I'll take a transfer for my Pyrene extinguisher if I may please?

OK Bill. I'll post a picture on here when they arrive. If they are acceptable I'll post his phone number for UK punters and I'm willing to act as go between for foreigners. Ron

Great stuff, cheers Ron

Hi All,

Sorry to resererect this thread, but I was wondering if any one got around to making the transfers for the oil can?

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

I can't help with the Wesco transfers. But since you resurrected this thread, I see I was lacking in my duties by not posting the details as I'd promised

Anyway this bloke makes excellent transfers for Pyrene extinguishers and BSA Parabikes. Also repro handlebar grips for the Parabikes.
Jefrey Wilson on UK number 01458 251808. As already stated, I'm willing to act for anyone overseas.

Ron

Hi all,

Had found some more Wesco oilcans, and now finally having the transfers printed, well not a real waterslide transfer, but an ultra thin sticker, otherwise it would be too expensive, but once lacquered over you won't see the difference.

So how much interest is there?

Part of the artwork

Price will be around 6 pounds a piece, will update when I have more info.

Is there anymore info on the Wesco oilcans themselves, Ron, Rob, Rob, Jan, Rik and me have been brainstorming about them, but did not get much further.

It could be that the colour of the can, silver/dark yellow/copper, could have something to do with the type of oil carried in them.

There is evidence that Nortons used a silver coloured one in 1942, and Enfield also carried silver ones, does anyone else has period pictures of cans used?

Both cast and pressed steel cans have been found in both silver and yellow colours, so it's nothing to do with the type of can.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net (think about this!)

Yes please, I would like to order one!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Will please have 2 lex .

Nieuwe pagina 1