Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres

Although my 1940 M20 had original 3.25 X 19 Firestone WD tyres on it (still with tread and available should someone want tyres for show) I think after 72 years that I would be better to change these. I have sourced a pair of Mitas tyres for £88 including tubes. It is the 002 pattern. Does any one have any thoughts about these tyres and would it be OK to change to 3.50X19 front and rear?

email (option): araine11@hotmail.com

Re: Tyres

I have Mitas Speedway 3.75 x 19 front and rear on my 16H and they look great. I don't know if you'll fit 3.75's on an M20

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I have those Mitas block pattern road tyres on some of my bikes. But not ridden on them enough to comment on wear or road holding. But I know lots of other guys use them. You can actually fit 400 x 19's on an M20. I know Ian had them at one time. But you have to let the rear tyre down to fit/remove it from under the rear guard.
I quite like the look of the Mitas. But prefer to use the Dunlop K70 for my harder working bikes. Ron

This is Mitas.

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Arthur..Apart from the very snug fit of the 4.00 width tyre at the back which means it must be deflated to remove or replace the wheel, you also need to have perfect alignment and tyre fit to get sufficient clearance.
At the front I found a wide tyre like this (and I guess the 3.75 might be similar) made the M20 handle like a barge..very slow and ponderous. They didn't suit my 'push it on' riding style at all. Of course tyre 'feel' is both a subjective and personal thing and others might not agree.
I removed them after a fairly short period and reverted to my own personal choice that I have found effective in both the wet and dry and also when driven hard......3.50 Dunlop K70s at both ends....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Arthur I'm rather fond of the Dunlop unigrips.
tryed2
tyred3
They are made by Dunlop in India on the old universal molds.
Available in 3.25 or 3.50 x19
I used my G3 all last winter on shitty Norfolk back roads and they never felt unsafe.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Mick, where can I get these Dunlop tyres from as I have not seen them for sale? Cheers John

Hi John,
We have them here at Drags, John Budgen usually has them and that tyre bloke at Founders day had them.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Keep the old Firestones on it! My Matchless G3 is running on 1951 dated War Dept tyres and 1946 WD inner tubes and they are great. I did intend to change them for new tyres when I did the restoration, but couldn't find a thing wrong with them, so why put them in the bin? I've done over 2500 miles on them so far and they are still supple, no cracks, very grippy on or off road, great in the wet, ice or sun and don't seem to wear out as quickly as new ones do.

Nieuwe pagina 1