Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Race to the bridge

Hi all the race to the bridge ,any pictures and reports as I'm thinking of doing this trip 2013 ,was very tempted this year after spending time with the triumph boys during Netley marsh
John

email (option): John@fieldandrurallife.com

Re: Race to the bridge

John, You should go,I have been promising Rob a trip to take part for TEN YEARS,so at last we came My self and Zac ,(my grandson of 13) ,watched the para drop, still dropping at two pm, then did the race and back to the airborn museum, Today the service at the Oosterbeck cemetry was very moving with school children putting flowers on each grave , I will return next year and Zac will have his Flea with him thanks to Rob and young Rob, henk and all the others whose names I have not remembered see you all next year,Zac,and andrew H.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Andrew, sounds great, Ive never been before but now will try and attend next year. What sort of distances are involved and what accommadation in the area?
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

I just received this link with photo's Ruud Klaui made. There is a nice photo of Andrew and my 2cv buddy Zac :-)

Henk

http://tdvma.blogspot.nl/

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Great pictures of the Arnhem event that appear to capture the atmosphere well.. and nice to see the lovely Leonie again!..The rest of the site looks very intersting...I think I'll be 'browsing' there for a while. The pictures of the Scottish tour were good...they reminded me of the two, month long tours I did to that part of the world...Incredible scenery and excellent bike roads...well worth a visit.
It really strikes me how much has changed in the nearly 30 years since I bought my first WD M20....Then 'Green bikes' were a rare sight and generally not valued much, falling very much into the 'cheap daily hack' category...Now there is a good turnout of WD bikes at most of the larger 'military events' and they are valued and sought after...long may it continue!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi John

I would like to attend this event next year, I have always heard of great reports of the entire event - it seems to be great fun too.

The added bonus is you get to see another theatre of the war & ride out with the Dutch crew on home soil

If you are interested in going let me know, I'm considering skipping France next year to do this

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Even after 30 years Ian, a trip to Scotland by bike is always superb !!

Jo'b

Pete Ingram
Andrew, sounds great, Ive never been before but now will try and attend next year. What sort of distances are involved and what accommadation in the area?
Pete
Pete hotels very good at 49 euro a night flat screen telly, big beds, very good three star , so dont know what the four stars ones are are like I would say not worth the extra ps good steaks and cooked breakfast extra cost Andrew.h.

Hi Andrew,

Nice to met you it was a great time!! Nice to see you on the road with your grandson!!
This is when they are some older!

regards,

Bram

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

Andrew, thanks for the info, Im thinking on the same lines of John and visiting next year. John, have to get our heads together and think of a plan!!
Pete

Hi Peter

Just looked at the Stena ferry from harwich, approx £90 for a flexible ticket for September next year or £200 for a transit van

I'm up for it, the Dutch have good beer seemingly, it would be a shame to miss out on this !!

Andrew seems to have the background on the hotels - if you don't mind Andrew you might let us know how you found these etc

If we went this hotel route, we could bike it to Arnhem - advice from our Dutch friends would help here !

I have often watched the Bridge too Far, it would be great to visit and take in the history just like Normandy

Lets keep in touch

I would be up for a ride out to this next year.

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

I would be up for a ride out to this next year.

Pete- John, maybe the Founders Day section can ride there together

Hi all here,

I am one of the organizers of the Race To The Bridge, which is a part of our annual Airborne Battle Wheels Oosterbeek event. Rob Vermeel started this tour quite a while ago. And the tour has grown ever since. Thanks to all, who participate in this tour, it's always an impressive event. Good to see there were more motorcycles than ever this year.

If you are planning to come over to Arnhem/Oosterbeek next year, make sure to reserve/book a hotel or guesthouse very early, as everything will be full at that time.

You can also stay at our Airborne Battle Wheels campsite, but there we have a restriction for military tents and WW2 British vehicles only. We will have a full scheme programme during the remembrance weekend. But you will always be very welcome to have a few beers in our mess tent.

The annual campsite, organized by Axe, near the river Rhine bank will have no restrictions, so you can stay there in campervans and modern tents. Some forum members will have full details about this campsite. (you should ask Henk )

Hope to see a lot of you next year. If not, maybe in 2014 during the 70th commemoration.

Here's a link to give you a little impression. It was taken at the startpoint of the tour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b763RUwWHlY

Regards,

Ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Hi all,

This year I attended for the first time and I can recommend it to anyone who loves British allied vehicles and especially motorcycles. Thanks Ramon for organising this event, well done!
2012-09-22 12.44.49
2012-09-22 12.45.05
2012-09-22 12.55.53
Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

Race to the bridge

The one thing I miss is the non motorized two wheelers, doing the trip in hilly (by Dutch standars anyway) Holland (NETHERLANDS really!).
A group of over 30 cyclist preceeded the motorcade from Ginkel Heath (second lift DZ) to the John Forst bridge in Arnhem and back to the Hartenstein airborne museum in OOsterbeek.

My 13 year old son had his second go on doing the 40 km+ roundtrip on a BSA foldiong bicycle and finished in good spirits. I followed him on a Mk. V war-time trade pattern bicycle.

Greatest fame should go out to the two elderly cyclist-participants, one in his seventies and Karel on his, in 1945 acquired BSA folding bike, who now is in his early eighties!

Se you all next year?

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

Hi All
Great pictures and wonderful comments , this is going on the calendar 2013

John

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

Thanks again Rob.We, Zac and myself, will be there next year God willing, Andrew

Arnhem was great fun yet again this year, once again I was on an unpowered pedal cycle (Mk5) which is the best way to do the "Race to the bridge", although I did take the M20 some years ago and that was fun too.

I would very much like to go again next year but I will have to see if I can afford it after Normandy.

A big thanks to Axe, Piet and everyone else who made us welcome yet again.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Ramon, what are the best dates to be there for 2013?
Pete

Hi Pete,

The best dates in september 2013 are from thursday 19 untill monday 23 september 2013.

If the website of our Airborne Battle Wheels Oosterbeek (ABWO)foundation is updated in may 2013 I will post it on this forum.

regards,

Ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

airborne

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nice pictures!

What a shame I wasn't there!

Next year I will!

email (option): basfietsen@hotmail.com

OK, I can't stay behind, since I'm not ill anymore!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1