Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rusty tank

Does anyone have any good ideas for getting rust out of the petrol tank. I have put some gravel in and shaken it on and off for 3 days but still can't get it clean. Although I did uncover a previous repair that has started to leak. I think I can just braze that up without too much problem. What acids/additives would forum members recommend.I would prefer not to put a sealer in as there seems to be a lot of issues with it.
Just off topic a bit if anyone in oz is after the small clips that hold the rear light wiring to the rear mudguard there is a place called BMH TRADING in Queensland that has them. I think I paid about $8.00 for six clips. They worked great.If there is any suggestions about my question it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: rusty tank

Mike,

You can fill it with hydrochloric acid. This will only remove the rust and not the sound metal. If you leave it for 24hrs that should be enough to remove all rust. Afterwards you have to either use a petrol tank sealer or rinse the tank with some diesel to make sure that it will not start rusting again.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

You can remove rust perfectly by electrolysis it very easy to do with just 12 volt battery charger
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

I have used gravel/shaking, hydrochloric acid and electrolysis. All work to some extent, none perfectly. Hydrochloic acid is normally sold at 30% concentration. 24 hours is too severe. One hour would be enough if you don't want too many additional leaks. Wash with water immediately afterwards, several rinses, then rinse with petrol.

I have not tried a sealer, but use a fuel filter and always keep some petrol in the tank. If the bike has been standing for as while, I throw out the old petrol, put in new petrol and circulate through a filter with an electric fuel pump for a while.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

I use phosphoric acid and hot water. Most hardware shops sell it for cleaning central heating systems. Put in half a litre them top up with hot water, leave for 24 hours, pour out, fill tank with boiling water swill round, repeat then leave to dry. The rusted areas will normally turn black and stablise. If theres no pin holes etc put in fuel and use.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Yes, phosphoric acid (or electrolysis if you are familiar with it) is the way to go! Hydrochloric acid is difficult to neutralize, and phosphoric acid forms a thin rust-preventing surface. Use a 10% solution, keep it filled for anything between 10 minutes and an hour. I also treated all my tinware with such a bath before having it powder-coated.
Drying after rinsing can very effectively been done with acetone.

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Whilst we are on the subject of tanks, petrol sealant and so on, can anyone recomend a good way of getting old, non ethonol resistant sealant out of a petrol tank? Can you get a magic potion that removes it all or did I dream it? and if you can, how well does it work?

I have used this Yamaha product a number of times on my restorations and have had very good luck. No rocks, BBs, etc. required...

The two-part system removes and then neutralizes the metal.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalube/categories/maintenance/0/all-maintenance-products/11339/details#productscroll

email (option): jwroesch@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1