Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saddle springs

Does anyone know what shape the saddle springs were originally on my bike? A 1944 wm20 I thought they were tapered top and bottom but then saw this. http://www.classic-bike-shop.com/spring-for-saddle-bsa-type-2483-p.asp

These look parallel Any ideas

Thanks
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Re: Saddle springs

Here is an original one, complete with the mounting stud and the triangular plate that it bolts to the saddle frame with
Photobucket

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

The springs in Dave's photo are of course the late war model springs. Early war bikes had them like the pre-war bikes, Longer spring shorter bolts of which one also had the Horn attached to.

Henk

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thank you both for that,

My old bike had the springs bolted right on the frame lug, I thought it looked a bit too low.

If you get a minute, could you give me any details about the mounting bolt

hexagon size af x length and thread on each end thread x length

I could make a pair then, ready for my seat to come back.

Darren

Hi, heres a drawing and some measurements from the original one above The scan has cut off the end measurement which is 0.525" (1/4 WW spanner size)
Photobucket

Don't forget to put a reduced section at the long threaded end; otherwise it is near impossible to start the nut on it through the windings of the spring DAMHIK
And do you have those triangular parts that bolt to the saddle frame? I have a dimensioned sketch if you need it.

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

on the triangler bit with the 2 holes in it that is on the top of the spring does that face forward or backward as the would either locate the saddle position back or forward and are there any stronger saddle springs

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Hans

I do have your drawing already, you very kindly sent them to me with the saddle frame details, very helpful indeed.

Darren

Dave

Thats brilliant thank you

If I can ever help you, or anyone on here, please ask.

I am a bearings and power transmission chap, with a bearing Company in the NW of England. So, seals, chains, bearings etc.

I am so humbled by the wonderful attitude on here, I would love to be able to give something back

Darren

Anyone have a set of Saddle springs and bolts for sale that Dave Plumb has in his photo.
Charlie

I could make you the saddle mounting studs in stainless steel and blast them up for you to look like cadmium plating, please pm me

Hi Dave...What's the latest on the rear wheel spindles?..I bumped into the guy at Stafford. I didn't realise it was Fred the magneto mans' son...I'm starting my M20s rebuild shortly so will need those parts...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1