Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does anyone know a source for the 1937/1938 M20 head gaskets

Hi, I am tying to track down a source of the early type 1937/1938 M20 head gaskets. Does anyone know who might be selling these?.
Any help appreciated.
Rgds dave

email (option): d.weston@virgin.net

Re: Does anyone know a source for the 1937/1938 M20 head gaskets

Paint the gasket area on your head with some black paint or dye and plonk it on top of some white paper or cardboard on a nice flat piece of glass or other flat solid surface and you will at least have a pattern for a solid copper one to be made.

I think Ian Wright was looking into making some.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi Dave/Mick..I have an original that can be used as a pattern...No plans to make a quantity of these, the early models are far too rare to warrant the investment in a batch....When I need one I'll make it 'handraulically' from copper sheet...Ian

Hi Ian, yes, I thought I might have to go that same route using the cylinder head as a template and some engineers blue to mark out the contact area on a copper sheet. I had planned on using 1 to 1.5mm sheet. I was just hoping that there may have been some NOS hanging around, but maybe that was a tad too optimistic.
I am also after a inlet cam pinion.. I think Leon H can help me in this area, just waiting on his reply..

Would you happen to know if the early models of M20 produced the same power levels as the later WD model?. I need to choose an engine sprocket size and I was thinking of using 20 tooth...however if the early M20 produces less power, then it may be wise to stick with a 19 tooth sprocket.

Rgds Dave

You could try lanai at Coppergasketsareus.com
I would be very surprised if he does not have the template for a M20 all you have to do is decide what thickness to use.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I can get them made if I can get a pattern and if there is enough call for them. I would need to have at least fifty made to make it worthwhile, they would most likely be in the region of £15 each.

Regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Hi John..Do you have any 'standard' M20 head gaskets left?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi John, thanks for that, I will make one in sheet copper. Having said that if there was enough interest from other forum members for the gaskets, then I would go for two... However, I dont know if there is enough of the 1937/38 M20's in circulation to get enough interest. If there is, then I am up for it. In general its better to have a a machine pressed gasket than a hand made version.

Rgds Dave

Hi Ian.

At the moment I have only two M20 head gaskets left, I sold about forty to De Groot, whilst on the BSA rally in Sweden but can get some more made if theres a call for them, I need to have about fifty for a minimum order.

Kind regards TTJohn

Hi John...Are those two for sale?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There is a place in the US called Copper Gakets Unlimited, and they (obviously) specialize in this area! You may want to inquire if the have a pattern on file, making sure it is specified that it is different from the later M20 gasket.
Alternately, send them a pattern and they can make them.
I heard about them on the A10 forum, where somebody had some early long-stroke A7 gaskets made.

http://www.coppergaskets.us/index.htm

( I think they are the same people Trevor mentioned above but his link doesn't seem to be current)

Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Ian.

You have e-mail.

Regards TTJohn

Nieuwe pagina 1