Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
do'nt laugh

i have just brought a royal enfield 1998 for a general run about with right hand gear change and neutral lever it looks like a seperate gearbox would anybody have a service shedule/workshop manual or know what oil goes in the gearbox and it level plus front tele forks what goes it them and level thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: do'nt laugh: I've always wondered

I've always wondered why Enfield's "neutral finder" system has not been adopted by other manufacturers. It's been around at least since the 1960s and is very convenient. Every bike should have it. The same with the Rudge hand-operated center stand, every bike should have one.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

I had a lot of Enfields years back. I found the neutral selector very useful. However, I guess Albion had some patents covering the device, so it might not have been that easy for others to adopt..or perhaps other manufacturers saw it as an uneccessary expense. The gearbox is a seperate unit but bolted to the back of the crankcase..a method shared with the Plunger A10 and known as 'semi unit' construction.
I know a few people with 'Indian' Enfields and generally they seem to be fairly reliable..and 100% spares availability at very reasonable prices has to be a bonus.(and a luxury!)
My brother in law has a brand new 500 which so far he's very happy with, though it's a different animal to the earlier, more traditional models..Hitchcock Motorcycles or Burton Bike Bits should be able to supply technical publications for the bike..Ian

Hi Roger,
I ride a 1981 Enfield 350- bought new by my dad.
Gearbox is an oil/ grease - but for topping up SAE 50 is recomended.
Front forks are SAE 30 which can be a bit heavy for British roads so you can go for SAE 20. 6 1/2 fluid oz per leg.
Engine oil is specified as SAE 50 but many now seem to use a good quality multigrade 20/50 ut wet sumping can be more of a problem. Oil filler plug is on the top and level plug is at the rear of the box.
If you want I can copy the service schedule out of the riders handbook for you.
They are really nice bikes and dirt cheap to buy parts for. The parts from India are good and are cheap via e bay, etc.
Regards
Clive

I worked at Greenlooms Classics when he was an Enfield dealer and on the whole we never had a problem with any of them.....except for personal imports where people went to India on holiday, bought 2 brand new ones, imported them back to the UK and used the sale of one of them so that they could have the other one for free, these always seemed to give a problem, things like tappets wearing very quickly, oil leaks, bad chrome etc, but I suspect that home market Indian ones aren't assembled as carefully or have suspect parts fitted to them. I'd be more tempted to buy your parts from the UK dealers as I do believe that some of the parts can be a little suspect (bad case hardening etc) and ultimately, wouldn't you rather support the UK Enfield dealers who have to have to supply proper quality parts, the parts arrive quicker and still aren't much more expensive, I'm all for saving a few pence, but at least I can return a bad part without paying £300 postage!!!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

thanks everybody and clive for the offer of a service shedule but i have ordered a workshop manual from hitchcocks i am quite pleased with it so far there is a rattley tappet hope it just ajustment

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1