Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Belgium tourist information

Sorry if this is a little of topic

On Sunday 4 of us from Devon are starting our journey to Arhnem for the anniversary, race to the bridge, beer ect.

On route we will hopefully be camping at Leper (Ypres (Wipers)) from Sunday until Thursday, with various trips out into the WW1 trenches and perhaps a day at Dunkerque, so here ares my questions, where is the best place to see the famous Dunes? and what else is worth visiting in the area?

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Belgium tourist information

Hi Rob,
Theres quite a nice memorial by the beach at Dunkirk,up at the Malo les Bains end, near to where the jetty is. There is also a nice little museum called the Operation Dynamo museum housed in the old costal fortifications in what was the French army headquaters at the start of the second world war.Heres a link-
http://www.dynamo-dunkerque.com/
There is also some German gun implacements a little up the coast at Bray Dunes.
Theres also the superb V2 rocket museum La Coupole near Calais housed in what was the V2 rocket factoy. This one is awesome.www.lacoupole-france.com.
Have a good time!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks Mick

That V2 site does look interesting.

So the dunes are North East of Dunkirk not South West?

Rob.

Rob, the initial Dunkirk perimeter extended up to De (La) Panne and much of the initial evacuation took place there and in the later stages, troops marched down the beach from Belgium to Dunkirk (or Malo which was the posh part of the town).

If you have the time, as there are now more than 400 posts, I'd recommend a thread on ww2talk :-

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/1940/29818-dunkirk-operation-dynamo-evacuation-beaches.html

You'll recognise some posters there

We stayed in Talbot House (Poperinge) a couple of weeks ago, and while we were there we visited the new "In Flanders Fields" museum in nearby Ieper. Highly recommended!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi rob

I intend to do same during ths winter /spring so maybe you can share when you are back

I would like to vist areas associated with Irish regiments both north & south

I visited the batterie Todt recently - approx 12 miles south of Calais - it well with a visit - it housed some huge guns & now has a very impressive Krupp rail gun there also - campsite next door if you need to stop over !!

It's still a scary place !! The batterie, not the campsite !!

My friend in Belgium has also told me of Atlantic wall sections on the Belgian coast, all in good condition too, maybe our Rik or Jan have information on their locations - I have forgotten where he told me where it was

Enjoy the trip Rob

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John O'Brien
... My friend in Belgium has also told me of Atlantic wall sections on the Belgian coast, all in good condition too, maybe our Rik or Jan have information on their locations - I have forgotten where he told me where it was

Enjoy the trip Rob

Job

Hi John, hi Rob,

Must be the Atlantic Wall museum in Raversijde (close to Ostend). Certainly worth a visit!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Poperinge town hall is where men were shot at dawn for cowardice, or LMF.
You can still go in the cells where the condemed spent their last night, looking across the courtyard at the stake to which they were going to be tied and shot by firing squad next morning.
It is truly chilling, and you can only imagine what was going through their tortured minds.
Well worth a visit I think

email (option): Gadboy@btinternet.com

Thanks everyone

Some great ideas to be going on with.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

See you next weekend!

2012-07-21 14.13.10

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

Rob, Am also there next week end, will be in a van and one bike, Unless someone comes with me, PP offline, for my Mobile /cell,as back up in case of problems, am over about lunch time on the friday norfolk line,At chatham dockyard this Sunday andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1