WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pyreen fire extinguisher

on ebay 320978073975

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: pyreen fire extinguisher

Roger, although a fire extinguisher, is seen frequently fitted to MCs, post war perhaps might have been normal I cant remember seeing them fitted war time,or listed in the parts books, perhaps at a petrol supply point or fire service, any one know different?

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Roger, although a fire extinguisher, is seen frequently fitted to MCs, post war perhaps might have been normal I cant remember seeing them fitted war time,or listed in the parts books, perhaps at a petrol supply point or fire service, any one know different?

Andrew hemsley

In one of the WW2 motorcycle training films, the sergeant instructor has one attached to the back his bike. (Norton I think)

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, but not at all common during the war...in fact very rare. I have seen one photo of an M20 with a wire cutter fitted and one of an M20 with a rifle carried horizontally along the nearside...but again, not normal practice....Ian

I have seen that one Ron,Watched the film the other night, but it is or was not normal as far as I can see, To be frank not a bad idea,as I remember a bike catching fire at war and peace a few years back, andrew.h.,

Years back my A7 SS got saved from oblivion by the local window cleaner..He had a 650 Triumph outfit for his ladders, buckets etc. and also carried an extinguisher.
I got the bike out one morning, kicked it over and it burst into flames..but just as the window man appeared round the corner...was that lucky or what?..Fortunately he had an extinguisher and not a bloody Ukulele..'Hee Hee..Turned out nice again!'... ....Ian

Re: pyrene fire extinguisher

Pyrene fire extinguishers contained carbon tetrachloride which when burnt created Phosgene gas which is really not good for you, so I suggest it would be better to carry a modern fire extinguisher if you are worried about fire, but you could still fit an empty pyrene extinguisher if you want to create a wartime instructors machine.

Apparently Carbon tet can also be used to remove paint from clothing.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

hi,in the seventies ,a GPO technician helped me strip my magneto,he used a pyrene
to wash all the parts with,including the armature.
worked ok after that,sure takes your breath away though
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Carbon tet is also used to kill petrol in a tank that needs welding. And yes I think that extinguisher in the training film is the only one I've seen. But that's all you need to make it ok to fit one if you want........ Artistic licence!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As you say ron artistic licence, By the way you used to be able to buy , DAB IT OFF to remove paint stains, was that not carbon tec,elf and sfety springs to mind , always wear a mask and or gloves when using this and outside That desert arial WNG in the O M book with the bren is cool,andrew.h.

I've got one on my 1940 Matchless G3. The rear grab handle assembly had marks on it that corresponded exactly with an army green Pyreene bracket that came in the boxes with the rest of the bike. The bike was in the Army until 1958, so it's probably a post-war fitment, but I've put an extinguisher in the bracket and put it back on, it looks great, always attracts attention and is part of the bikes history.

I'm sure theres a picture of a Norton being ridden by an instructor with one fitted in the Osprey military motorcycles book.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

i have an ammo pouch attched on the right hand pannier bag on the right side nearest to the carb i keep a small modern fire extinguisher in it

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1