Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I am maybe stupid but....I need some help

Hi

I have a question, I but a M20 in parts, now I have bot a magneto and my stupid question is how does the Engine stops? Because if you turn the Magneto with your hand it always has a Spark, so if the Engine is going it always has a Spark so how does it turn off.

My cuestion will be maybe rediclous but I restore a English bike for the first Time with Magdyno.

I have some electric diagrams but there is no Magneto on it, only the dynamo.

Thanks a lot for your Answers.

BR, Mitja

email (option): mitja.peterka@siol.net

Re: I am maybe stupid but....I need some help

You use the valve lifter (decompressor lever) or you can put your hand over the carb, or failing that stall the engine

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi, everyone has to start somewhere/ sometime! Welcome to the world of WD bikes :-) The M20 engine does not stop by anything happening to the Magneto. Some bikes have a 'kill' button, but not this one. You stop the engine by using the valve lifter/ decompression lever. This is usually a 'trigger' type small lever that is fitted to the left hand handlebar, this in turn pulls a Bowden cable that goes down to just in front of the tappet cover. There should be a small lever located there that on the inside has a cam. This lifts the exhaust valve and so the engine stops running, as there is now no compression. A complete mystery if you have only had modern bikes - but now you know.:-) Sorry I dont have any pictures to help you , but you can bet someone on the forum will wade in. Dont be afraid to ask questions, it is how most of us learned in the first place.

The lack of a cut-out is a characteristic of the Lucas Magdyno so this is common to all similar WD motorcycles.

I'd recommend obtaining a copy of the 'Army Motorcycling' DVD, as made available by Horror and Ron on this forum.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1180082&cmd=show

It starts off with a new recruit who has never ridden a motorcycle being shown the controls. Before you know it, he can ride trials sections.

It's great fun to watch anyway.

It must have been taken for granted that everyone knew how to stop the engine, as it doesn't even mention it in the 1942 film. Which is odd as it shows step by step, how to do everything else.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I have visions of WD M20's still chugging away in the stores somewhere!!!
If you have the early combination levers the decompressor is the lever on top of the clutch lever.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1