Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1947 XM20 BRR???

Can someone help identify the letters BRR stamped on my engine and also appears on the old green tax book?

For the life of me I can find any info relating to this.
Maybe I'm just stupid and don't see the obvious!!

DanainC

email (option): damian153@hotmail.co.uk

Re: 1947 XM20 BRR???

Hi Damian..Are these stampings in addition to the engine number?...For example XM20 1234 BRR..or do they replace the number..e.g. XM20 BRR.
In the first instance I would ignore them..Engines frequently carry inspection stamps and other markings with unknown origins in addition to the standard engine number (e.g. XM20 1234). However, if you don't have any numbers then it has been altered at some point....Ian

Ian

The engine & frame are stamped XM _ _ _ _ which match and don't look to be altered.
I have the original tax book which also shows the same numbers.

I'm not old enought to remember the old style buff book! It states the XM20 was first regeristed in London 17th April 1947. It's still got the original reg number, the first owner being 1956. I'm intrigued about in owner or owners between 1947 to 1956, who owned the XM20 between those years, is there any way to find this info??

Was the first buff book filled with owners and the book I have is it's second copy??

Is it safe to post the engine/frame numbers up here for all to see?

Maybe I will email you a copy

DamianC

hi damian,yes in the days of the old buff then green log book,every owner was listed on the book.
when the allotted spaces were filled a new book was issued,the old book was returned with cancelled stamped on every page.this prolly is the missing part of the history you seek.
i recently had a similar question from an ebay chap,his triumph engine was stamped
underneath with BRSL (BRITISH ROAD SERVICES LTD).
maybe search down those type of lines.one guy who may help is
Mike Worthington-Williams,the old schoolhouse,Cenarth,Newcastle Emlyn,
Carmarthenshire,SA38 9JL
e-mail worthycomments@btconnect.com
he is the old bike mart registration guru,he may know something,or point you in the direction of the appropriate records office.
hope this helps ,good luck
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Rick just to let you know how I got on.

Mike replied today?

He said sadly all the old London registration records had been destroyed!!
He also said I should try the BSA dispatch records held by VMCC Library they would have a record
to which dealer my bike was originally supplied.

The search goes on the trail is still warm!

Damian.

Hi,
I have some 48 BSA YM21 crank cases that also have BRR on them....they follow the YM21 engine numbers. I also have not seen these before or know what they mean? Anyone know?
Moto

I will post the reply from VMCC a.s.a.p

Or if someone on the forum can answer this one sooner?

Go for it!!

DC

hi Damian,there is a pair of crankcases on ebay at the moment with similar markings YM21 with the BRR underneath ,check it out 300781729165
hope this helps cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hello Rick,  Another BRR stamp make her appearance! it could well be some sort of road services or maybe just a dealer stamping??
Im trying to trace the missing years on my old style buff book, in 1947 when my M20 was first registered OTR  until 1956 the taxation class was S/Car bicycle no owners are stated?
In 1956 Mr Humphreys the first named owner on the buff book a pen line crosses out S/Car bicycle  it says see page 7 the taxation class is now classed as bicycle?? 
I've had no luck with the VMCC, they  point me the dierection of London Metropolitan Archives that hold some 1946 & 1947
registration records another long shot or a V888 from DVLA 

Hi Damian..For many years 'motorcycles' were referred to as 'bicycles' in official documentation...Yours seems to have started out with a sidecar and then had it removed when registered to Mr. Humphries..reverting from 'S/Car bicycle' to 'bicycle'...'S/Car bicycle' is not the most common description of a sidecar outfit..often they were registered as 'Three Wheel M/Cycle Combinations'..
It seems your bike may have had a period of 'fleet' use with a large company, Government Dept. or similar before being 'civilianised' and registered to Mr. Humphries as the first private owner..With no owner entered for the early years that would indicate to me the most likely user was some part of the Government..Maybe it wasn't used on the road initially but on a Government, Forestry or similar establishment somewhere?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1