Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's my Dad on?

Hi to all
I am progressing well with my A7 Longstroke from 1949 and have come across some photos of Dad.
Although he is not here I am hoping someone can ID the bike and possibly any military understanding of the tank markings.
I believe to read 64 YA then either 51 or 81 or S1
Underneath the number 473
On the back of one of the original its say After 74 Bdg ... Bude 1950.
My very sincere thanks
Stephen
Gold Coast Australia

PS I do have the photo but could not see how to post it to the forum??
Many thanks

email (option): west59@bigpond.net.au

Re: What's my Dad on?

Stephen,

YA, would indicate a Matchless, do not have the info here as I'm traveling, in a couple of days I'll get back to you, I then can also post the picture if you email it me.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Stephen..Bude (in Cornwall) isn't too far from me..I take my dog there sometimes for a run on the beach (the dog not me.. )...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, was there a military camp there?

Anyway, Stephen, here's the picture:

It's clearly G3L with postwar military reg. no. 64YA91, (Keycard 156a) so that's easy to look up, this particular bike had framenumber 58530 and the rebuilt C number (before the 64YA91 was on the tank) 1421687

The C number it left the factory with was 5478830 and it was from contract S2604 dated 03-03-1943, for 7000 bikes, at a price of 76 pounds 15 shillings 12 pence.

It was sold off on 28-12-1960, from Bowhouse Irvine. (Central Vehicle Depot)

Nothing else on it's postwar service, but maybe some other lads can identify the markings on the bike?

Did some googling, Bude was an RAF base in WW2, and later a Signals HQ, and still is today, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Cleave but the markings on the bike are not white/blue (signals) looks more red/blue (Artillery) or red/green (RASC)

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

My G3L has frame number 58518, so pretty close to this one.
I calculated C5478818 as the C number for mine, if frame number 58530 had C5478830 my calculation seems to be OK.

Regards,
Peter

Nieuwe pagina 1