Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3WO rim sizes

Chaps, I am just having my wheels rebuilt and a question has come up about the rim sizes. The rims that are on the bike are WM2 but of course I do not know whether this is original or not. I am told that most WD Matchless bikes are WM3, so question is, if anyone can tell me what they should be I would be grateful. Also, if I fitted WM3 am I likely to find they will rub anywhere? thanks a lot Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Matchless G3WO rim sizes

Matchless WD rim size are WM2 front and back, don't forget to measure the offset of the rim to hub before you send them and check them when they are done.
Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

thanks Tim, thats good information. I have measured the offset and will check it before its is painted and fitted.

It interesting as the wheel builder sugggested that most of the AMC military wheels he has done are WM3 which got me thinking. My wheels definitely look original, the whole bike is unmolested, just very tired, so WM2 sounds right.

I am sure you are absolutely correct, but if anyone disagrees before I push the button please speak up!!

cheers and thanks

Andrew

Andrew, Tim is correct with WM2. Cheers John Tinley

Discounting Norton Big 4's, Combos and the lightweight machines (Fleas & ML's).....All common or garden WD solo motorcycles specified WM2 rims, with the exception of the WM20 that had WM3s.......and for a bit of variety, note that the Ariel W/NG had a 36 spoke front wheel rim rather than the standard 40.....!

Ref wheel size...a couple of years ago i fitted a WM3 complete with 3.50 x19 tyre to the rear my WD G3L and found improvements all round...better handling and better ride...i think it is common within the m/c industry to fit a larger rear tyre to bikes for better dynamic performance..i suppose for economy sake and ease of spares all WD bikes were fited with the same wheel size front and rear..

Ed Abbott

email (option): edd@abbottracing.com

as always, thanks Guys. what a great resource this forum is. Anyway, they are on the way to being finished......next the tyres. cheers

Nieuwe pagina 1