Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3L pillion seat.

The last missing part to finish the restoration of my G3L is a pillion seat but I understand that original ones are almost impossible to find.
I have one that looks very similar but it is a rigid one without the vertical springs on the rear side.
I think that this one can be modified to get the same apearance as an original one.
Does someone have a picture of the pillion seat frame as fitted to contract S2604?

Photobucket

Thanks,
Peter

email (option): peter.siroen@planet.nl

Re: G3L pillion seat.

Matchless seems to have used two similar types of pillion seat on the G3L. One of these two variations is the one that can be seen in the Matchless catalogue picture above. This one has a simple front bracket and X-shaped bottom rails.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The second variation is quite similar to the first one, with the exception of the bottom rails, which are O-shaped, and the front bracket is now triangulated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am currently tooling up to make a replica of these Matchless pillion seats (also used on some Royal Enfield WD/CO and some Ariel W/NG contracts).

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Yes this large bum pad. But it's captioned as probably a pre production type. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Mine has this type. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The large bum pad is indeed seen quite often on war time photographs of G3L motorcycles. Other makes used them as well, but around late 1942 this foam filled type of pillion seat was replaced by a sprung type pillion seat. Each motorcycle manufacturer seems to have had his preferred make and model... Most wartime (1942 onwards) Matchless pictures show the types from my first posting. But I have seen some exceptions:

BSA style pillion seat:

Photobucket

Norton style pillion seat:

Photobucket

These non-Matchless style pillion seats on Matchless motorcycles are quite rare. I wonder if these were "field repairs"...?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks guys.
Good to hear that you are going to make a replica of the Matchless pillion seat Jan, sent you an email.

Regards,
Peter.

email (option): peter.siroen@planet.nl

Hi guys,
This pic from C11102 quite clearly shows a bum pad-
C11102
The parts book for this contract lists this as W14G3L-EQ241, as does the book for C12632 and C12633.
The parts book for S1050 shows that later rear sprung open framed seat, with the same part number!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1