Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic frame number query...

A friend of mine needs to clarify the stamping location of the number on a Mid 50s Norton Featherbed frame...He knows the number should be on the rear engine plate gusset welded to the nearside of the frame. Part of the number runs horizontally on the plate and part of it vertically but he wants to know the exact format/location...Can anyone post a picture of a featherbed frame number for reference?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Off topic frame number query...

Roy Bacon's 'Norton Twin Restoration' book has some nice clear images, including a 1957 Model 88.

The year code and Model identifier were horizontal towards the top and the frame number digits stamped down the lug, one above the other.

1955 was 'K', 1956 'L', 1957 'M' etc. The Model code for the '88' was 122 (the Model 7 before it was '12' and presumably they didn't want to use '13' ?) If it's a 600cc '99' then the Model code is '14'.

I'm not sure how well the b/w picture will scan. I can try mailing it through.

Thanks Rik..This one is 'J 122' so a 1954 '88'..The scan would be great if you can manage it..Ian

My brother-in-law has a couple of J122 frames but it might take a while to get a photo of them. It should be a bolt-on rear subframe for 1954.

I'll try a scan.

I'm not home at the moment but I can take a picture tomorrow if someone hasn't already done it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ok, I'm home now and taken a picture of this Model 50 (350 single)wideline featherbed frame.
Which also answers Rik's question about "13", is the Model 50 code. Hence they went from 12 for the Model 7 500cc Dommie to 122 for the featherbed 500cc Dommie. I guess it kept it similar to the Model 7 instead of them being 14 (as the 88 was out before the 99). Or maybe they had a load of engines stamped 12 that ended up in featherbed frames so just stamp another 2 on them. Who knows

This frame is P which is 1959 and as I said 13 which is Model 50. I would expect the P to be in front of the 13 but isn't on this one. I have also noticed on my Dommie 99, the year code "R" (1960)is a smaller size stamp than the numbers. This made me suspicious when I bought it until I noticed it's the same on the engine with a smaller R than the numbers, and on another 1960 frame I've got.

A quick measure of the stamps on this 59 frame is 0.282" (9/32")

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks Horror..With this picture and background info. and the one Rik sent me I have the information needed..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1