Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 19 (1937) for sale

Hi,

I am interested in a bike. See Pictures. What would be the price for such a bike. Does any one of you have an idea what a fair prize would be. According to owner, this bike was in a dry storage for 22 years without using it. Details see Pictures. Quality and Quantity is not that good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks Phillip

email (option): Phillip.Thaler@gmx.at

Re: Norton 19 (1937) for sale

Philip, it has a lot of home-made parts on it, such as the chainguard, the rear brake arm and the nut. It has a frame with horizontal saddle spring mounts which suggest earlier than 1937 but on the other hand, it has the 1938 pattern oil tank.

It has no battery carrier, the rear carrier is not Norton and I'm puzzled by the magneto (some export models were fitted with Bosch electrics).

Gearbox cover is ex-WD, rear numberplate (and mudguard ? ) not original, horn bracketry incomplete.

Any girder-forked Norton has a value but if you want a correct (or even just period-looking) one then this needs to be priced as a project and not as a show-winner.

None of the deficiencies are insurmountable (assuming that the engine and frame are what they should be) but as you know, pre-war Norton parts are expensive and hard to find.

My feeling on this one is that it has been assembled from parts. It doesn't have enough of the nice 1930s bits from what I can see, to think that it has survived as an intact machine.

Do you have engine and frame numbers ?

Rik,

Always Impressed what you can see on such pictures, the only thing I saw was the rear brake issue and the back light.

I try to get numbers of engine frame and gearbox.

Phillip

Philip, I might see a lot but I've provided some incorrect info...the horizontal saddle lugs are correct for civilian machines from 1936-on and the oil tank would be correct for that.

In my defence, I've been laying paving in the rain this afternoon and authorised myself a substantial grog ration when I came in.

Hi Rik,

After that you definetly deserved it :-)

Phillip

Case is closed, someone already bought it :-( round about
€6000 I guess.
Phillip

That sounds like a lot of money for one in that condition.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I agree, 6000€ is a lot

Phillip

email (option): Phillip.Thaler@gmx.at

Nieuwe pagina 1