Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot ,sunny and wet Buckfastliegh

I've just got back from 4 1/2 days at the Buckfastliegh 1940s weekend...Typical British Summer..in that time we had a months average rainfall in one day and the following day weather hot enough for sunbathing!..Met up with Rob Miller, John Allison, Ron Pier etc. and apart from the really wet day, we got in some very enjoyable riding on Dartmoor again, including a bit of 'offroad action' and some road runs with the bigger vehicles..No mechanical mishaps and the 'Dunkirk Spirit' prevailed during the (very) wet part..on the whole I think everyone had a good time...I certainly did..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Hot ,sunny and wet Buckfastliegh

Had a great time myself, smashing to see most of the gang, enjoyed the off road bit, and the pub visit after. We have a good working team of Don-Rs. who worked well together on the road runs, and the Saturday evening run to Widecombe was real life stuff with the fog and rain over the Moor, well done to all

Worst part for me was the trip home in my van! They closed the A35 at 'Monkey's Jump' (Dorchester) because of floods. I had to turn round and take that silly (but picturesque) Road from Bridport to Weymouth. Ever seen two coaches trying to pass each other in Abbotsbury? Still enjoyed the weekend with friends though. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I suspect this one will remain one of the most memorable Buckfastleighs.

There were some great convoys, especially the main Widecombe run on Saturday night, when I hit some deep standing water at around 40mph whilst overtaking three trucks

Pity my digital camera gave up, but here are a couple of pictures I did take on the Friday run in and around Scoriton, made famous(ish) in 1965 due to an alleged UFO sighting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Well what a great weekend ,weather what weather We really had a super time thanks to all for the hard work that goes on behind the scenes ,it's a fab location with tremendous riding ,great off road section ,thought we where quick going up !!! The down ward trip was interesting Ian keep up rob (where's that church )
even the rain could not dampen our spirits !,,,weekend like this are about the people thanks to rod rob colin ron tim Ian , Tina liked the coffee ice cream
Interesting trip home with A35 flooded sent via Axminster !!! Sun all the way ,,home about 1pm ,just removed bike from van she Is looking great well covered in mud
Thanks to all!,, keep riding ,,,John

I only turned up on Sunday but it was good to meet up with everyone next year I might brave the whole weekend rain or shine.

Sadly, Buckfastleigh didn't quite go to plan for us.

We (me, the wife, Poppy 10 & Charlie 4) went to Goodwood Revival last year and all were keen to get back to the 40's with our Revival gear as Buckfastleigh looked to be having spies, spivs, steam trains, UXB's, etc, plus a good number of bikes & runs.

Poppy however, disocated her thumb the previous week and a follow-up visit late on Buckfastleigh-Friday found that the thumb wasn't quite playing ball with a plate that wasn't doing it's job. Charlie was then showing signs of the infamous pre-school bug that was plaguing the rest of the kids in school and with all this going on, the forecast then produced images of muddy kids - one unable to move her arm from an uncanny Nazi salute and one who couldn't get more than 10 yards from the loo.
'Come on you own I hear you say'. Just to finish any thoughts of Devon, it was my Birthday on Sunday and with one-armed cake baking from Poppy and pics of 'Army Bike' from Charlie on the days leading up to Sunday, it somehow seemed unfair for me to bail.

Anyhow, the long and short of it is that I missed it this year. Bugger. Any tips for a future event where I can get some bike riding in?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Know the feeling lee, I lost use of the company van on Thursday evening - due to work related requirements

The cheek of it !! :-D

I really wanted to do this run as so much riding is involved, I can only hope that I make it next year

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Ian Murrell
I only turned up on Sunday but it was good to meet up with everyone next year I might brave the whole weekend rain or shine.

Glad you could get there Ian its nice to put a face to a name.

And Lee and John, better luck next year.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Lee & J O'B....Pity you missed it, it was a good one, the next show in the west with a bit of riding is the West Somerset Railway at Norton F'Warren,early August, ask Rob, he knows the road run route HA.HA

Hi All,
Good to meet the "Old Contemptibles" of the M20 world at Buckfastleigh. I went there with my Jimmy but the main purpose was to speak to you guys about my aspirations for getting hold of one of these great bikes.
I learnt alot from you all (including about this forum) so now it's down to some serious surveillance to get hold of a bike. All assistance greatfully received. Hopefully see some of you at Dunkeswell next weekend!

email (option): Kimble.west@bridgezoneltd.co.uk

Good to meet you Kimble and the three nice and well behaved members of your family. Good luck with finding an M20 and look forward to welcoming you into our DR group. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Kimble
Glad you enjoyed discussing BSA M20 with us old duffers
They are all a great mob , good luck with finding m20 , that's at Dunkerswel ?
John

email (option): John@fieldandrurallife.com

hi Ian
glad you could make it for the day , bookin for the weekend next year ,sort your bars
John

Old Duffers!!! its bad enough that my Son-in-law (Shane) is going have "help the aged" on his T shirt for 2014 tour And Ian M,do you go to Paignton bike night, if so we will have to meet up

Paignton Bike Night

Hi Colin,
have intended to go but the weather hasn't been so good since I MOT'd the bike beginning of June.
Ian M.

Re: Paignton Bike Night

Ok Ian M, send me an email when you next think about going And,John A, sorry, but did not get a chance to say bye when you and the family left the the site on Monday, Hope to see you all soon

email (option): colin.harmes@virgin.net

Re: Paignton Bike Night

Hi Colin
We had a fine trip home in the sun !,
Great weekend all the family enjoy
Roll on the next meeting
John

Nieuwe pagina 1