Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
anti-drain ball valve

My WM has been wet sumping in record time so I checked the timing cover anti drain valve. I removed the bolt and managed to pry out the spring behind the bolt. As per the manual I rolled the motor over to try to get the 1/4" ball to pop out and after several slow rotations of the motor nothing appeared. I tried to look inside the passage for the ball but I don't think it is there at all!! Does the ball seat so firmly that it would not pop out when I rotate the motor? I can only see so far into the passage. Oil flows perfectly during running. I'm just fearful of replacing the ball and inadvertently having two check balls in play! Thanks in advance,
-RW

email (option): robwern@yahoo.com

Re: anti-drain ball valve

spring holds ball on its seat...with spring removed, the ball should be obvious if in place; its not located particularly deep in the case. A squirt of carb clean or some such, and you should easily be able to see the ball on its seat in the case...it.should fall out. If the ball is missing, the wet sumping will be quick to occur. Do you know the recent history of the machine as far as when the valve might have been last inspected?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Another thing to check is the ball valve in the bottom of the pump itself, so it would be wise to pull off the sump plate and check that too.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi Rob..If you put a scriber or similar down the hole in the cover you can 'feel' the radius on the back of the ball..If there is no ball fit a new 1/4" diameter ball and seat it into the casing by giving it a light tap with a suitable parallel punch and hammer before refitting the spring and cover fitting. It is worth replacing the spring with a new one as well..after all it is highly probable that has never been done. You can get the spring and ball from C&D Autos for a couple of quid.
I would leave the oil pump anti drain valve until you have completed work on the timing cover valve..If the problem persists the pump valve would then be the logical next step...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

one of these magnets used to pick up dropped nuts out of the engine compartment might get it out

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I only got the bike running right recently after a twenty year layup on its side under an old bench. I replaced the oil pump after the original stripped and the valve in the replacement pump works fine. The timing case ball seems to be missing, if I probe around inside the probe just keeps going beyond where the ball should be so I guess Ill pick up a new 1/4" ball and give it a go. Thanks for the input, I spun the motor over until oil seeped out so I don't see how any obstruction could still be in the passage,
thanks again,
-RW

email (option): robwern@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1