Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
strange magdyno

I was looking at the picture and see that there is a strange magdyno on it annybody know wath it is? Gr.Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Re: strange magdyno

Theo, It's a direct lighting system, so no battery needed, as a weight saving measure, was only used experimentally, made by ML??

Was a 6v 24 Watt system, and only worked when the enige was revved, or had an equivalent RPM of 18mph in top gear.

Ian or Ron will know all the details.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Theo..As Lex said the B30 had direct lighting to save weight. No lead acid battery was fitted..a small drycell battery inside the headlamp provided a 'parking/pilot lamp' facility...The electric horn was replaced by a bulb horn. The power was supplied by a magneto for ignition but instead of a dynamo an alternator was fitted on top of it. These lightweight bikes were the first to be so equipped.
The system was very low output though and was quickly found to be inadequate. Later versions were fitted with a conventional mag dynamo and from period photos it is apparent that at least some of the early models had a mag dynamo 'retro fitted' to them after removal of the set up shown in the photo...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian that is verry clear i have a bottom end from a Matchless G5 1939 500cc and this was with a ignition coil and only a dynamo i think.mostly to make it cheap GR Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1