Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M number identification

Hi Guys, i read that 61224 was a vehicle number allocated to impressed motorcycle around 1942 (C61001 to C62360). could it be that this type of numbering included cars as well? the same 5 digit numbers with an M prefix? does M61224 ring a bell to anyone?

Re: M number identification

Clive, according to the Chilwell listings, the batch was allocated only to motorcycles. This sequence would have been issued to RASC machines (it seems to have been the RASC who used the term 'impressed' whereas the RAOC used 'Local Purchase' for their extra vehicles).

Having looked in some depth at BEF instructions and the markings that arose from them, it is quite clear that not all new orders were immediately interpreted correctly and identically by all units.

I wouldn't rule out that someone issued a number from the wrong book to an impressed vehicle (but I have no evidence to support it).

Do you have a photograph or a written record ?

Hello Rik, no i don't. i have a pyrene fire etingusher, dated 11-42 and on the width of the handle its got M61224 stamped on. i just wish to find that it was a vehicle number hence comfirming that at least some pyrene extingushers had their coresponding vehicle numbers stamped on, to avoid steling maybe
c

clive you might be right i expect if a driver/rider lost his fire extinquisher and was due an inspection on his vehicle would get into trouble for the loss he would then nick one from another vehicle with them being numbered with the vehicle number this would not happen

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1