Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Black out blinds in France and Belgium

It is looking as if I will be getting my WD BSA to Normandy this June, and later in the year Im hoping to take it to the Flanders NOC rally in Belgium.
So whats the situation with the police in those countries to blackout blinds?

Re: Black out blinds in France and Belgium

Hi Peter

Good question, everyone (to my knowledge) has got away with it in previous years, but the law in France says motorcycles should run with their lights on at all times and its unlikely that they would see any light from a blackout on a sunny day so you could get pulled.

Personally although I have blackouts for my bikes I don't use them on the road as I may find myself out after dark on occasion.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I've been to Normandy numerous times with a blackout fitted without problems..My understanding of French law relating to vintage vehicles is that 'original fitment' parts are legal as laws have not been applied retrospectively to vehicle construction...so a convoy rear light, blackout mask etc. are OK...
Saying that I haven't sought to verify that information which was given to me by a French rider....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have checked with a French friend of mine this morning. He is a retired Judge, lives in Normandy and has a collection of British motorcycles . He says that for old bikes the day time lights do not apply. Similarly we do not have to conform to the high vis jackets. However, we will have to conform to the alcohol testers from July but no one will be fined until October. I hope this clarifies the situation. John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Thanks John..No Hi Viz?...marvellous!!..It seems the info I was given was correct. Can you get any information from your friend as to where I might look for the 'official word' on these laws...I am thinking towards absolute confirmation regarding 2014..Ian

it all going to change there is a new bloke in charge

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I had heard that the French daytime lights rule doesn't apply to 'Old Timers' but don't know where they define what is exempt. I certainly had no problem last year using my black manilla mask with the 'Half a half-a-crown' cutout.

Belgium is a bit bannana republic in its attitude to retrospective legislation and they do apply it sometimes. That said, most locals ignore most laws and if they're victimless offences then they usually get away with it.

Belgium has no MOTs for motorcycles and there is no possibility of them being introduced for bikes prior to 1973, when type-approval was introduced, as the attitude is they can't test if they don't know what was fitted originally.

I don't think that a mask or lack of headlight would be a problem on an organised run but it would probably be taking the proverbial a bit to cross the country on A roads, maybe in bad visibility with no light showing.

I have a 10w halogen pilot that I use for daylight running here and the local police have never given me a second glance.

The Begonia Rally is at a new site this year (not far from the old one) with much better facilities. It should be a good one. Although organised by the NOC, any British Motorcycles are welcome. If anyone fancies a rally close to the channel ports and within a few miles of Ypres, Poperinge, Tyne Cot and all that WW1 stuff, they'd be more than welcome...and I can show them where it was all fought over again in 1940.

I shall be making a further attempt to get there on the 16H this year, valve guides permitting.

Hi Rik
Would be grateful if you could provide details on the rally for me please

Ww1 & BEF is interesting stuff

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John O'Brien
Hi Rik
Would be grateful if you could provide details on the rally for me please

Ww1 & BEF is interesting stuff

Job

Will do John. They haven't produced a 'flyer' yet. The rally is about twenty minutes from Westvleteren too but I don't suppose that strong ale holds any attraction for you, does it ?

I have been known to leave the tea bag in my mug At times Rik !

But ale is no something I would go for normally - although the occasion could lend itself I suppose to a sample brew

:-)

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

talking about no MOTs in belgium for motorcycle is anybody up to speed whether no MOTs for pre 1973 motorcycle here in england is going on

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Roger..Changes to the law are pending..though exactly when it will happen I'm not sure. A decision has been made on the 'cut off' date..there will be no MOTs for pre 1960 vehicles...Ian

The aspect of daytime lights in France came up on the Real Classic forum so I did some schoolboy French Googling (I'm feeling pretty chuffed with my French at the moment as I've just bought an NOS mica KLG KS5 there for 9 euro ! )

The daytime lights law was enacted in 1975 and does not apply to machines first used before 1965.

http://www.zseft-zundapp.com/archives/2011/01/16/20101423.html

This is the Google translation of the site :-

Evolution of the Motorcycle category:

(With the exception of multiple changes in displacement, depending on the age of the driver's license)

1925: the machines listed in "BMA" out of the motorcycle category.

1931: mandatory lighting.

The Highway Code 1931 says that for machines not exceeding 20km / h: "the lighting can be reduced to a light visible from the front and rear, and when a device with a reflective surface is red installed in the rear, to a fire only visible from the front ". For more than 20km / h "They must have a system capable of illuminating at least 100m."

Question I was not able to answer: was it retroactive for vehicle before 1931? Regulation of 1954 which replaced that of 1931 is retroactive to all motor vehicles ... The question does not arise.

1939: requirement to use yellow bulbs

July 1943: the machines listed in the categories "Moped" and "moped" out of the motorcycle category.

1954: The motorcycle license is a license "A"

1954: Headlight, taillight and stoplight required (retroactive legislation, mandatory equipment before 1 Jan 1956).

1954: For their dangerousness towards pedestrians removal of license plates mounted on the front (retroactive law, obligatory dismantling of existing faceplates)

1957: Anti obligatory parasitism (To improve the reception of television and radio frequency modulation was sure this law retroactive)

1957: Cars and motorcycles are considered luxury items with a VAT of 27.5%.

The VAT rate will change later increased up to 33.3% in 1970 from 1988 the rate will be lowered from 33.3 to 28%, then it will be reduced gradually to the normal rate will be reached in 1992 (currently the rate normal VAT is 19.6%).

For Foreign, we must also add the 20% tariff.

1958: Compulsory

July 1961: Helmet (NFS 72301 certified) mandatory "out of town" (the pilot).

1962: The Unauthorized NFS 72,301 helmets are not for sale. (This explains that the best helmets on the time Cromwell had become untraceable in France. I bought mine in Switzerland).

July 1973: The minimum age from 16 to 18 years

July 1973: Hard Hat Area "in and out of town" (driver and passenger).

1975: The motorcycles under 240cc are no longer considered as luxury goods and VAT rate changes from the normal rate plus (or 33.3% in 1975 to 20%).

August 1975: Obligation to ride day with headlights on (does not apply to motorcycles placed in service before 1965).

March 1980: Creation of three categories: Word1: 80cc/75km/h, Mot2: over 80 to 400cc, word3: more than 400cc, until this January 1985.

January 1985: Creation of three new categories of MTL (light motorcycle): MTL1, and MTL2 MTL3, most of 80cc to 125cc returns of "motorcycle" to "MTL3", but the 125cc 13CH more remain in class " moto "(this until July 1996).

January 1985: Limiting the power of all the bikes to 100hp (for resellers aprovisionement new bikes).

January 1986: Limiting the power of all the bikes to 100hp (for sales of new motorcycles to individuals).

March 1989: Turn signals required for motorcycles into service from 1 March 1989. No requirement for motorcycles before March 1989, but the bikes already equipped before that date must retain (see the approval sheet, known as the "Mining", model).

1993: End of the requirement to use yellow bulbs.

Nieuwe pagina 1