Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch sleeve nut comes loose.....

The sleeve nut that holds the whole clutch hub to the gearbox came loose, resulting in no clutch,..

Question, is there a torque for this nut that is should be fastened with? Or just tighten it (more) firmly?

Any other tips to avoid it coming loose.

Thanks. Jacco

email (option): vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Re: Clutch sleeve nut comes loose.....

I know nothing about M20's if that's the bike you have but on most bikes the clutch centre nuts are usually torqued to about 70lb/ft or just very tight. Could you fit a tab washer or spring washer under the nut? You could use loctite nut-lock if it still comes loose.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes Horror, it's an M20. Rather don't want to experiment with parts that are not in the manual..like a washer. Thanks anyway.

Jacco

I had the same problem a couple of times with my AJS a while back and did just what Horror is suggesting. I fitted a thin spring washer under the nut and used plenty of thread lock solution just for good measure, it's never happened since.

Ok, I'll try loctight first. Thanks guys.

Hi Jacco..It will stay done up if you tighten it sufficiently...Put the bike in gear, apply the back brake as hard as you can and then tighten it up. I've never experienced any problems with this nut using the method described.(I don't loctite them or use any other form of locking)..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Always done them exactly as Ian describes & never had any come lose.

I've never had one come undone either, 70lb/ft is very tight and I've not needed Loctite. Other bikes I've got do have a tab washer as standard.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

It's important that everything is in good condition. The thread on the mainshaft is unlikely to be damaged but the nut needs to be in good condition internally and not sloppy on the thread. Make sure that it's an original high-tensile part and that it isn't burred on the underside - worth flatting if that's the only problem, otherwise replace.

Jacco
The sleeve nut that holds the whole clutch hub to the gearbox came loose, resulting in no clutch,..

Question, is there a torque for this nut that is should be fastened with? Or just tighten it (more) firmly?

Any other tips to avoid it coming loose.

Thanks. Jacco

Hi Jacco,

I sell a very nice tool to tighten that rascally nut.

If you are in UK, I can put you in touch with the man who has them and save you a lot of freight.

If you are in USA, I have them here for you.

I also have a very nice clutch spring compressor that will save your bacon.

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Ok....problem seems to be solved.had my first drive and stings seemed ok.....although i could not get the gearbox in 1st and 2nd ??......that was 1 , seconds....my chain came off. Opened new topic for that as I'm challenging the rear axle shaft setting now....do i miss some parts??

Cheers Jacco

Pls see new topic.

Thanks for the tool offer....Im in Netherlands....have a look later.

email (option): Vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

the clutch on one of mine came loose just managed to get it home with no clutch it turned out the taper in the clutch hub was worn a nos one cured the problem

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1