Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
range of acceptable tire sizes

Hello Folks,

I recently purchased a 1960 Dominator, and it has some cheapo tires: a 3.25/85 19 front and 4.10/ 19 rear. Would that fit a standard '43 WM20 wheelset?

They are Cheng Shin tires and though they are a little too slick for a 1960 bike, I would like to fit them to my M20 if they'd be usable. I plan on doing a long ride this summer when my M20 rebuild is complete, and hate throwing anything away.

What says the forum?

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: range of acceptable tire sizes

Front ones the width they were using on some other pre war 500cc BSA's yours being a little lower profile.. but appart from looking small & taking the bumps a bit less gracefully it would be ok.
That 4.10 rear will also be about 82% or 85% aspect ratio so actual wall height is fractionally less than a 3.50 (which are 100% aspect ratio) so gearing won't change hugely ( 1" less rolling perimeter)
Only other thing is if the width sill go in, just make sure it doesn't foul any bolts when its in & should be fine.

Hi Kevin..You'll struggle to get a 4.10 rear tyre in..in fact you probabvly won't. I ran a 400 on mine for a while and I had to deflate it to get the wheel in and there was very little free space....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That M24 has a 4.00 in it Ian & it has clearance & no problems going in or out, is it maybe because i have no chain gaurd?

Hi Fred..I think the chainguards and the narrow part at the front of the WD rear mudguard may cause clearance problems you don't have with the M24...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1