Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chain splitting

Hi, could use some help in guiding me through shortening a rear chain. This one is for the 741. Comes with 120 rollers, parts diagram show 94 rollers, but part number is listing 92 roller, guess they are leaving the two out because these are found on the Link?

What is the best way to remove the extra rollers. I know that if I use a grinder, I will cut in the links for sure. I have poor vision in one eye. However, as I am writing this, I think Ian may help with this, as I am picturing in my mind, using an end mill and gradually removing the end of the roller.

I do not have one of those tools that removes the rollers. I had one, and it was not an easy thing to use as I recall or rather not have to recall.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Chain splitting

Henri, Find a nut that is just slightly bigger than the roller pin next you need a ball bearing and a vice.Put a blob of grease on one side of pin then place the ball bearing on greased pin then put this between the vice jaws with the nut on the other side of chain nip up jaws to grip the lot then crank up jaws to push pin thru side plate, very fiddly but with patience it works even on the toughest chain link.Dave..

A proper chain splitter works well for me even on new type riveted over chain.
But if grinding the link off just grind off the pin & keep going right onto the link face as your chucking that plate away anyway.
When flush just punch them through.

Hi Henri...The chain is made up of pairs of 'inner plates' and pairs of 'outer plates'. The inner plates have a roller at each end making a link, in other words a pair of rollers held together by two side plates. Each link is then joined to the next one by two 'outer plates' and the rivets.
When cut to length the chain will end on a roller within its two plates.
So,once you have decided which roller the chain is going to end on you need to remove that rivet. Also remove the next rivet along the chain..the one that is on the part you no longer need.
As you are going to discard the two outer plates that are held by these rivets it doesn't matter if you damage them. So carefully grind away the ends of the two rivets (on one side of the chain)with a disc grinder until they are flush with the face of the outer plates. Then, resting the chain on a vice or similar just knock the rivets through with a small punch and hammer. The plate on the side you have ground will fall away as the rivets are punched through and the rivets and the plate off the other side will come away together, leaving you with the chain ending on the required roller...It sounds complicated but it's easy...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Guys, will try all suggested methods.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1