Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 proper oil seal for timing cover?

Hello All,

I'm looking for the correct part number for the pair of oil seals that go in the timing cover. Should it be 66-1923?

Here's the location showing only one in my bike:

Photobucket

The issue is that the part number 66-1923 that I ordered and recieved appears to be the wrong part. It seems to be rather thin. The diameter appears right, but it seems a lot thinner than the one that is left in the timing cover.

Any ideas?

Kevin

Re: WM20 proper oil seal for timing cover?

Hi Kevin..The rubber bushes when fitted to the cover are forced over the cam spindle oiling bolts when the cover is refitted. There is quite a bit of pressure applied as the timing cover screws are fully retightened. This tends to 'displace' some rubber around the outside of the location hole, particularly after a period of time, making the bush appear thicker than it was when fitted originally.
When your new bushes are fitted to the cover if they are about flush with the outer face of the boss the rubber fits into that will be OK...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

So, the 66-1923 is the correct item? The ones I got were very thin. I'll take a picture the next time I have access, but the ones I got don't appear to have the thickness (or depth, however you're looking at it).

Photobucket

My order I got from the vendor in the UK was just a box of unlabeled parts in a ziplock bag. I must have ordered 40 line items and it's difficult now to figure out what part is what when they're all jumbled loose in a big bag . Perhaps I'm mistaking a tank bushing for the oil bushing. Oh well, I'm whining.

Kevin

Hi All
Kevin I'm looking to buy the same seals - where did you order from? My seals were breaking up and rock hard. I also want the seal behind the Magneto drive gear (the one that came out was a fabric one).
Ian thanks for your comments I always save them.
Regards
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Doug W
Hi All
Kevin I'm looking to buy the same seals - where did you order from? My seals were breaking up and rock hard. I also want the seal behind the Magneto drive gear (the one that came out was a fabric one).
Ian thanks for your comments I always save them.
Regards
Doug W

Hi Doug, I sent you a private e-mail. Right now, I'm still looking for verification that the timing cover oil seal is in fact PN 66-1923. Don't know what the part is supposed to look like when new either.

Kevin

Hi Kevin..That is the correct number for the timing cover seal. Can you post a picture of one of the new ones fitted to the timing cover? I should be able to tell you then if it is OK. Also can you give a measurement for the thickness of the new seals?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Will follow up on Friday when I get access to the parts. Thanks, Ian, for all your time and advice.

Nieuwe pagina 1