Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mounting the front spring

I have a small problem mounting the front spring; part 23 has a small pin underneath, which enters into part 24.

Front fork spring 3

In the fork, there is also a small hole underneath part 31, and I suppose that the pin has to go in there too, but it is too short for that:

Front fork spring 4

Now I wonder what the purpose is of that disc 24; just a spacer?

And in what direction should the slightly bent part 21 point: backward or forward...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Mounting the front spring

Part 21 will only fit one way.
I have seen machines with & without that disk. I think it makes little difference, but its extremely important for part 23 to have its peg located into the fork blade so it can't turn. That's more important than having the washer (part 24 ) present.

cycle fred
Part 21 will only fit one way...

Well, mine will fit both ways! But a very faint flat can still be seen, so that will go to the side near the rim

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Ive got 3 that definitely only fit one way, i think that's how they were from factory with a radiused area that clears the rim when the rod is pulled up against its shoulder.
Anyhow when you view a bike from the side, that rod is meant to be more upright than the spring ie it bends forwards.

It'd just crossed my mind that you might not have the correct lower spring holder (part with the spiral) the correct one should have the bolt hole so close to the edge that the rod only goes one way & wont turn, it would be dangerous if that rod can turn in use.
There's several variations of those holders, some top ones have central hole, some have offset & some have 2 holes for use at top or bottom, some tops have the peg hole aswell because the bolt for that type is pegged from the inside.

Nieuwe pagina 1