Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My new unusual project.

I have just acquired this Royal Enfield. It's a model WD/L 570cc SV. It's one of a contract of 250 in 1942. Only another 100 were supplied in 1940. So far Jan has only one other on his register.
It was last used by it's previous owner in 1986, when he used it for just that year and included the Arbuthnot trial. He then took the engine apart and vapour blasted the cases, before apparently losing interest.
He never had lights on it. But acquired this NOS 8" headlamp, which has mysteriously lost it's rim. Fortunately I have one which will need modifying into the screw clip fitting. The ammeter has a dome glass, so I need to work out the date code on the back?
Strangely, although these were supplied in 1942. The limited pictures seem to prove that they were still fitted with 8" headlamps, but not pannier equipment. Also although this one has been painted black. There are traces of green paint including the untouched inner chain case which is clearly Khaki Gas proof Green. Other nice features include the original Rexine saddle, original fish tail exhaust and Jaeger speedo. I'll look forward to getting my teeth into this one.
Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: My new unusual project.

Very nice Ron, you've done well there, something a bit different. Make sure you don't keep it to yourself, let us know how you get on with it.

She's a beauty Ron, very nice indeed. Will it be finished in time for the Veterans Parade?

Ps. The chap looks to have made a lovely job of the cases.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Yes, nice find Ron!! nice 8" one too!!

Don't know about the cases though, vapour blasting gives a strange plastic like effect! I rather beadblast, and then close the pores with a stainless brillopad soaked in WD40, then it lookes like it came of the assembly line.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Well done Ron. It all looks exactly 'right'. The price wasn't too bad either, as I recall ?

I wonder what it's service history was ? Fire Service, perhaps ? It's a bit big to perch a FANY on top....

It's a bit of a sidecar tug. I reckon that you should liberate your 16H and put the chair on this one.

Normandy 2014 needs you on a Norton, Ron !

Well the only picture so far that shows them in service, supplied by Jan of course, seems to show them in a training unit.
Bikes 3,4 and6 in this line up are either WD/L's or their sister bike WD/G's.
Any more information or pictures of either model would be gratefully received.
Is that 52 in a circle maybe signals? Ron

Photobucket

I've got the original picture, it is a no. 52, I can make it out, but it is just a tiny contact print.I can make out the tank numbers on most of them if it's any use

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Well any improvement of the picture would be helpful Dave. I have blown up this portion and lost some detail.

Ron

You have a good eye for the bikes Ron

Thar'll be nice when it's done

Interesting note on the bead blasting lex

Many thanks

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

There are three bikes that you need the tank numbers for, they are C4478868 and C4478868, the third one is obscured by the headlamp of the next bike. They all appear to have the big headlamps. The number 52 on the tanks is on a 2 tone disc which is darker at the bottom than the top (grey and.....less grey!!!) They all appear to have rubber grips and possibly even chrome twistgrip housings (they seem a little bit too shiny for bare aluminium) I can see that all the others have gearchange rubbers and footpeg rubbers too. The letter B under the tank numbers appear to be limited to just the above bikes. The riders have a two tone strip on their sleeves, a lighter colour on the left and darker on the right (grey and greyer again!!) The exhausts on them also appear to be black and all the others look to be silver. The print is only 2 1/2" by 2" so posting it on here won't really help, I had to use a massive magnifying glass just to get the info from the picture

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I make a motion to elect Ron Pier to post of Restoratum Emeritatis, no such word exists, but neither does another Ron.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I make a motion to elect Ron Pier to post of Restoratum Emeritatis, no such word exists, but neither does another Ron.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Ha Ha! Thanks Henri.
And thanks for clearing up those numbers Dave. I don't think Jan could make out the full numbers from his scan.

Ron

PS. Dave. I was just jotting down those census numbers and noticed you have given both bikes the same number.
Any chance you could have another look with your spy glass?
I'd really like you to tell me that it's C4478827 which is actually my bike.
Ron

Well done Ron I'm betting you'll have this on the road before my 16H as well

I've scanned some small pictures on a large setting and it's worked really well. You see things that you couldn't make out before.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1