Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Future proofing?

I'm interested to know peoples views on how they perceive the situation regarding the spares that will be required in the future to enable them to continue running their bikes.
Levels of NOS components..themselves a luxury not available to anyone running a civilian model..are rapidly diminishing as a resource and the availability and quality of the replica parts currently available is variable.
I tend to 'stock for the future' when the opportunity arises, buying NOS or good replica parts when they become available..even though I don't need them today. Having owned and used two of my bikes for 30 years or so I have learnt just how much you can wear them out. I focus mainly on the parts that tend to suffer the highest levels of wear or would be impractical to have remanufactured at a later date either due to technical complexity or cost (the two tend to go together) and things that might get badly damaged should I have an accident.
I don't assume, or believe, that parts will always be readily available in the future. If the demand remains good there is always the possibility that any part, however complex, can be reproduced but that will be at an ever increasing cost. That cost will escalate sharply if the quantities needed are low or...dread the thought..if you want a 'one off'.
I think in the current times there is actually more of an inclination to ride the military bikes to places like Normandy etc. than there has been for years and that will lead to the consumption of parts...I fitted a complete NOS clutch to my M20 a number of years back and clearly remember thinking..'well that's the clutch sorted'. Not so..when I rebuild the bike this winter some of those parts will need replacing again.
So, what is the prevailing view?..Is it wise to invest now in your future spares supply?..Do you think that one way or another parts will always be made available when you need them and if so by what mechanism and by who?...Will it be via enthusiasts like Jan or will it require the financial 'clout' of larger manufacturers?(who tend to require 'volume' to justify their investment)..or maybe the Indians will get their act together?...What do you think?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Future proofing?

I know a chap with a couple of Edwardian cars that are now getting towards 110 years old and as you can imagine, spares are non existant. His father owned the cars prior to him and did just what you suggest in the 1950s, when he bought up everything he could so that he had his own stcok. This stock is now all but gone and so the only alternative today is to search around for a good engineer and pay out big money to get parts machined or cast as one-offs. I think this situation will come to any old vehicle and no matter what the wife may say, hording parts whilst we still can is a sensible way forwards for now.

It is inevitable that these bikes eventually will only be used "on special occasions" to cut down wear and the expense of repairs. I am terrible for buying and hoarding part that I don't actually need. It is an expensive habit as well. Some parts I've had for so many years I've actually forgotten I've got them until I pull out a box buried in the garage, when looking for something else. Some parts I can't even remember buying.

The trouble with this is I could be buying parts to hoard, that someone needs to get there bike on the road. They then have to pay more for this part, pushing up the price of spares and creating a false demand for parts we don't actually need... yet..!

I think if you're walking around an auto-jumble and see a wear and tear item for your bike that's cheap, buy it, but where do you draw the line? I look at it as I'll have enough to build another bike so end up looking for parts that ends up as another project

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Great topic. It's about time we start a spares scheme like the Matchless/AJS owners club has.

We have plenty of talent here in this world wide group who can contribute their expertise. I have begun drawing every part I can, and there are others who have even better drafting skills in the 3D world.

There are many things I need a NOS part to grab the dimensions from that would be easy to make or have made.

Hans and I are trying to sort all the nuts, bolts and screws on an M20 at the moment.

Jan in Netherlands makes great stuff, as does Ian. I make tools, John in Australia makes cables.

With todays CNC equipment, many things would be relatively easy.

What say we get together and see what we can do to start?

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I think the hunt for parts is why i like the bikes, its a challenge & if all parts were easily available off the shelf in top quality its ruins it.
Take a look at the Vincent situation, prices didn't rise in line with 30's BSA's etc, that reflects a lack of interest & too easy to buy everything to build a whole bike if you wanted.

Running these bikes are fulfilling our hunter gatherer instincts quite nicely as it is :-D

I think in the medium term at least replica parts are the future..there already isn't enough NOS or original parts left to satisfy the demand for particular items. For example I don't remember the last time I saw an original M20 rear carrier for sale..never mind a NOS one. This will tend to upset the purists but it is the direction things are moving in.
Parts such as carriers lend themselves well to reproduction..the materials are relatively cheap and the equipment needed to make them is basic..many well equipped home worksahops could handle the job.(check out Jans products). However, even at this level a fair amount of expertise is needed and someone has to 'step up to the plate' to do it.
Parts such as the rear sprockets I recently posted about require a whole different set of expensive equipment..namely CNC machining centers.
Whilst CNC machines bring reproduction of this sort of part into the realms of the possible to be economical production of a batch is necessary. Most CNC equipped workshops will politely say 'no thanks' if you ask for one or two parts. Some will take on the work but it will be pricey.
As a 'small player' financially in this game I am unable to finance numerous different replica parts in the hope that one day someone will buy them...I tend to get involved when I am sure of a demand for at least some of what I am about to make.
It is a fact that apart from the Indian stuff the commonest military bike..the M20, is not well catered for in the reproduction world....Most of the trade suppliers carry very little for me to buy. Though the direct retail side is better a large part of that is of Indian origin with all the attendant problems.
So, as an individual you are, and will be, faced with limited choices both in availability and quality of parts.
As a group things look better...if there is a definite demand for a number of one particular part quality reproduction becomes a possibility.
This ,however, demands that people take a medium to long term view of what they need or might need in the future..not a short term view of what they need now.
In other words it is possible for a group to act like a manufacturer..they invest their money in the short term for a long term gain. This ultimately may be the solution to spares availability and quality issues for some components. It's really a question of how many people think 'buying up front' is a good plan to get what they need before they actually need it. ...Ian

Hi CF, I don't perceive any lack of interest in Vincents..most people would like to own one. The fact is they are way too expensive for the majority. I think a sudden rise in value is also less likely when something is already very expensive.
I do agree that hunting about for parts can be rewarding, or at least finding them...but less so when there aren't any available or if you need one to get a project finished. I spent over two years trying to find the rear stand mounting forgings for my Ariel Square Four and would happily have bought some good replicas if they had been available to get the job finished.
Also once I have gathered up a set of parts and completed my restoration I want to ride it..not spend another year off the road trying to find a replacement for a worn or broken part. Certain parts need to be available if a bike is to be used and in some cases replication is the only solution to that problem. It will never be the case that 'everything is available in good quality off the shelf' for the vast majority of machines..That is the preserve of the owners of a tiny number of 'exotic' machines..Ian

Well, I advice people to buy parts when you can, (ie. you are being offered them, and can afford them) not when you need them, I agree, this takes up a lot of room and money, but you will have that elusive part when you need it!!

Or when other people need it, so you can get some money back on your investment.

Where the limit is I don't know, was sure I reached it years ago, but keep on buying!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

I think the answer isn't to reject Indian made parts, but to go to India and oversee production and raise standards. Or China. There's no doubt that the far eastern markets CAN make good parts when the proper quality controls are in place. Western labour markets are simply too high.

I vote we send a committee.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Hi Danny..Stop trying to do me out of a job.. ..At various times I have personally had manufactured and brought to the market place battery cases, handlebars, early pattern sump guards, Y Straps, pannier bags, webbing grips, pistons, big ends, valves,rear carriers, mudguard stays, front mudguards,rear stands, steering damper knobs, tank instrument panels etc.etc...and all at affordable prices. These, and more, prove that parts can be manufactured in the UK and meet all the criteria for quality and price.
It is the nature of the game that they can't all be available all the time..there isn't enough demand.
Rather batches can be made at different times to match demand when it builds up.
I think we are too quick to write off UK manufacture as too expensive...but you do have to search to get the quality, price and low quantity all together in one deal....Ian

think some day you will have to use metric bolts i think i will store my rusty worn bolt for a few year they will be worth a fortune

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Ian

its a difficult one this, gathering parts just because they present themselves at an autojumble is a real temptation, I once did a 46 Triumph 3T and by the end of the project, I must have had at least another half bike just because it might come in handy to have as a spare part mentality kicked in with me.

The M20 has had the same effect and in fact over the last weekend, I have decided some parts must go, I'm becoming a hoarder and thats not what I want to be

I will retain some engine & gear box parts, items which are dificult to obtain or expensive, I will keep, for sure they will not get any cheaper, especially wearing items.

Other items I bought because they were there I will sell, hopefully will go and help get another bike on the road, or at least prevent another complete restored machine being broken up like we have seen of late. theres only so much we need during our lifetime of custodianship !!

I can always put the money towards another alternative project or fund other wearing items such as tyres and maybe, a spare clutch !!

Roll on next jumble

Happy days

JO'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi Ian, the last thing I want is to do you out of any work. But the fact is, labour costs in the UK are relatively (and I did say relatively) expensive. The stuff you make could, theoretically, be much cheaper from the far east - as we've seen. The problem comes back to quality.

Paradoxically, I think the stuff you sell is very often TOO cheap by any "normal" standard. And yes, it's true that affordable things can still be made in the UK (Land Rovers, Range Rovers, some Triumph motorcycles etc). But there's still the thorny problem of having the right manufacturing equipment available for low volume work. For Classic Bike magazine, I wrote a piece on G&S Valves, in the UK, and was impressed by their operation. There were about twenty stages, or so, in making a valve, all fed through a range of equipment, some of it really sophisticated. But even they had to admit that a lot of their work is development stuff that then gets shipped to China and India for full scale production.

Maybe you could locate to the far east too (say, Clacton) where we could get that elusive compromise between quality and price. It's a lot drier than Devon.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine,com

I don't think that we should think of China as the be-all and end-all of manufacturing. I've been working on parts from an industrial transport system this week, originally made by a large US company with a UK subsidiary. The last batch of countersunk socket-head screws came in boxes marked 'Made in China' rather than the US.

There's never been a problem in the past but the internal hexagons on these are rounding off at half the torque. Did the manufacturer cheapen the spec when they out-sourced production or are the Chinese unwilling or unable to use the correct materials ? I don't know but it's losing us time and damaging tools.

We've also got a customer complaining about the swivels in the fluid lines of another US market-leader's products. Again, something that has never given trouble. Sure enough, the last lot of packaging has the dreaded words 'Made in China'

You could argue that it's down to quality control but unless it's done during production, it's often difficult to know what shortcuts are being taken.

I can't imagine on low-volume stuff how a small customer could hope to have any control over parts made in the Far East. Quality control will be down to the end users.

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread the words 'India' and 'factory' in the same sentence. I don't think that this is really the right term for 'our' sort of components. Fourteen-year olds sitting cross-legged with a large hammer and a leather shot bag are more what it's about.

I'm told by an aquaintance who has done some business in China that for low volume customers it's virtually a non starter...Not only do they want to supply in large quantities but the beaurocratic hoops that have to be jumped through to get permission to make anything are a nightmare..and that's before you sort out the 'backhanders' at every level...Ian

Both India and China can certainly produce very high quality goods. They ought to be able to because they buy top quality British, American, German, French and Italian plant. They buy up entire factories and ship 'em out. They also buy up the Western staff to manage the plants. And a pair of Chinese low or medium skilled hands are no different to low or medium skilled British or Japanese hands.

But it's the same as the Lucas situation with manufacturers specifiying lower quality goods to make, or ensure, profits. Sometimes, it takes only a small extra amount of money to make a much better quality part, perhaps by introducing a hardening process, or by using slightly better raw materials. But other, cheaper manufacturers, inevitably force the price down leading to a vicious circle of quality control cuts, etc.

In short, an American desktop printer pumps out the same quality image if it's located in Beijing or Birmingham or Berlin. Modern Chinese bikes are unquestionably much better than they were a few years ago. Royal Enfields are better now too.

Not all Indian artisans/workers are operating at the ultra low tech end of the market. Triumph has a plant in Thailand and is second to none in the world, and that's where most, if not all, of the modern Bonnevilles come from.

The right person located in India or China or Thailand could, I think, make a huge difference and bring back better parts at a relatively low price, even in low volumes. You just have to show some initiative and really want to do it.

Hi Danny...'Better quality' in terms of manufactured parts means investment in better manufacturing facilities, more quality control, more thorough R&D, improved testing, improved materials technology, correct heat treatment, a more highly skilled workforce etc. etc....I'm not sure the part of Indian Industry that caters to the old bike trade is ready for that and if they were it would add a lot of cost.
On top of that you have to get them to do it consistently from thousands of miles away.
Currently they are supplying considerable quantities of low cost, poor quality parts to Western traders who aren't bothered by that, or by the fact that they are going to sell it all on to Joe Public.
It would seem that the buying public..on the whole...are going along with that set up as well. Where is the driver that would make the Indians want to change their strategy?.
Years ago people could buy Hepolite pistons but they chose not to and bought cheaper, inferior, imported pistons. The likes of Hepolite went to the wall trying to sell a better quality product and now we all spend our time looking for NOS Hepolite pistons.
The lesson is don't buy the cheapest you can find..buy the best quality you can afford.
I don't think waiting for the Chinese et al to make good quality yet cheap parts is a good strategy....Ian

Hi Ian, I think you're missing my point. I don't expect the Chinese or Indians to address this problem. Quite the opposite. I think it will get worse. The point I'm making is that it needs someone from Britain with the passion, funds and enthusiasm to drive any small manufacturing program. Part of the problem is that the Indian mindset is a kind of "make do and mend" attitude - or, rather, "do it well enough to get by".

Many Western classic bikers want top quality parts, not "barely adequate". But some of the manufacturing requires only low skilled assembly and machining. All the required elements are absolutely right there in India and China. And there's spare capacity. As I said, it needs a dedicated Western conductor to conduct an otherwise undisciplined orchestra. It needs someone with exactly the right skill set - and any manufacturing program needs to look wider than, say, BSA M20s. Or whatever.

If Jake Robbins can make a (very good) set of replica Castle forks for two grand down there in Kent, the Indians can do it for half that price. Or less. There an old saying that goes: There's no such thing as a bad soldier; just a bad general. We need a top general to sort it out - and then to "sell it" in the West.

The technology needed to do all of this isn't cutting edge. It's 60, 70 or 100 years old.

One of the problems is trying to replace the vast engineering structure that was BSA.In its heyday it had its own R+D,forging,machining,pressing,steel works,ETC,all cooperating to produce Bikes and Spares.That takes a shed load of conducting,never mind trying to organise half a dozen different firms with little interest in anything but the bottom line.Using "the global market" is p*ssing in the wind.Old bikes is a minority thing,well controlled small scale LOCAL production at a premium price is the way to get the spares.

Christ, Rik, you really are a cynic. I completely disagree with your comments about low skilled machining. I've done some machining work too in my time, and you can safely leave me to handle a fairly routine job on a lathe; perhaps turning up a spindle or facing off a casting or something. But I'm a long way from skilled. I've used mills in the past, and I can generally machine up a part to suit my needs (when I can get access to the equipment).

I can weld too. I've got MIG and arc here and have done lots of welding on my kit car jeep, but I'm not a skilled welder either. No way. I'm simply up to an acceptable standard and could handle routine production line work.

Back in WW2 Indian technicians and engineers were highly recommended. The RAF loved them. Out in Afghanistan, tribal people knock-up pretty good Kalashnikovs, let down only by poor heat treatment of the steels.

I agree 100% that it's better to pay someone right here in Blighty to build the right parts. But clearly, that hasn't happened yet on a significant scale - with notable exceptions from Ian and Jan and others.

As I said, it needs the right person who can put together the right team; not simply an employed engineer. I already explained that. It needs someone with passion, not a time clock puncher. Ideally, it also needs someone who can speak Indian.

Royal Enfields are made in India. No, they're not as good as the originals, but they're certainly fit for purpose and a long way from sweat shop labour in poor villages. It's not the skills level that's the problem. It's not the facilities. It's not the materials. It's the DRIVE that's missing. Great companies are commonly founded around an individual, and such companies often founder when that individual leaves or dies.

I think Jake told me that he actually made little, or no profit on the first batch of Castle forks (I think there were 6 or 10 sets. I don't know how well the next batch went.

As a footnote, I'm passionate about British manufacturing. I have all of Sump's products made right here instead of the far east where I could cut costs by fifty percent. Or more. I ride a British bike. I ask for British goods in shops (and usually get laughed at). On Saturday, I drove 120 mile round trip so that my other half could buy a couple of British made cups for £25.

But realistically, the far east is the only way to make viable classic bike parts at present (on large a scale). Personally, I'd stick with Ian and Jan, and so on. But the wider market says otherwise.

The largest manufacturer of good quality Triumph parts is right here in Devon..LF Harris limited..and whilst they have parts made in other countries (mainly Europe)a large percentage of their parts are made in the UK, either by other companies or 'in house'. In fact they have just invested £200,000 in new CNC machines at their own factory to enable them to do more of the same. They also produce a variety of BSA components.
To suggest the far east is 'the only way to make viable classic bike parts at present' is entirely incorrect.
In fact just about everything that is worth buying IS made in the UK or Europe...Gold Star engine parts, belt drive kits, oil pumps for a number of machines and a host of other things from big ends to wheel rims.
All the components that I have had produced have been UK produced...
Yes the Indians could probably do it and probably would if someone rolled up with a fat bank balance and a lot of spare time to organise it...but who is that exactly?
In reality the businesses that make up the classic bike scene in the UK are primarily smaller businesses that aren't that well funded.
At the level we are talking about, which is manufacturing some additional parts for bikes which aren't regarded generally by the few 'big players' as money spinners, we are really talking about those small businesses or even individuals like Jan.
I can operate in the UK..dealing with small producers on a small scale to provide a number of hard to find parts...that is what we are talking about unless a rich man on a mission rolls into view...a nice concept but unlikely.
It's all about small scale 'niche' manufacturing working in quantities below 100 for most components with manufacturers already mentally and technically equipped to do the job and who you can liase with directly and easily.. That can be done now, in the UK..Ian

Ian Wright
Hi CF, I don't perceive any lack of interest in Vincents..most people would like to own one. The fact is they are way too expensive for the majority. ...

Hi Ian, the "lack of intrest" wasn't just an observation of mine, its a well known fact amongst dealers that as soon it was publicized that all parts were available to build new ones the prices of Vincent's stagnated. Most makes have doubled or tripled in value over the last 8yrs, Vincents have not got close to that increase.
And price machines make at auction is a direct reflection of the amount of interest.
Im not a professional psychologist but there is certainly a connection between rarity & desire. :-)

I'm not sure what we're arguing about here. I think this is one of those discussions where the back has lost sight of the front.

I did say in my last post "parts on a large scale". Les Harris is in a special position. I'm not suggestion that parts can't be made here. Manifestly, they can. I'm simply responding to the post about future proofing.

The point is that generally speaking, LARGE VOLUME PRODUCTION can't take place here at a price the customer will pay. Of course there are exceptions. There are ALWAYS exceptions. I recently visited Les Emery's operation. He makes complete Commandos and Dominators right here in the UK, and sources the vast majority of components from local factors. But the price is high at around £12,000-£14,000.

A few years earlier, I visited Maughan Engineering and saw how Vincents engines were being built here in the UK (check out Sump for this, and for a piece on Les Emery). But prices are still too high for VOLUME sales. These firms will continue to produce in relatively small numbers.

I visited Venhill cables too and saw how they worked, and they told me the same story. They can handle low production runs, but can't compete with Far East prices where the quality might not be as good, but is generally felt to be good enough.

Ace Classic produce almost everything of theirs in the UK. Or they did, last time I spoke to them.

It was the same story when I visited Dial Patterns, and when I visited Phil Pearson. They can all produce the parts, but not at a price most people will pay (albeit prefectly reasonable prices). Therefore, a smaller set of people are their customers, which includes me.

The difference with Les Harris is that he was already established NOT as a "classic" bike parts supplier, but as a manufacturer of parts for contemporary parts. He had fairly good contracts, and a reliable distribution chain. When Triumph went bust, Les continued along a familiar groove, but even he has had to outsource. And there are many parts he doesn't produce because they're uneconomic. He once said that he would have had to stop Bonneville production anyway because of the cost of re-tooling in the UK (this was when his licence was about to expire).

Moreover, pretty much all the parts I've bought for my Triumph T140 in the past ten years have needed remedial work to make them usable. I'm not saying these are all Harris parts. Some were from Taiwan. But I am saying that MANY of these parts were made right here and built down to a price. In other words, they were no better than Indian or Taiwanese built items.

A consistent source of high quality Triumph spares, take note, is Japan, that makes some wonderful stuff (Japan's in the far east too, in case anyone isn't sure). But America manages to make some good barrels and suchlike, but check out the prices.

Also, it's worth remembering that, good or bad, the remanufactured Indian girder forks for BSAs and Nortons HAVE come from the far east, not Britain. Jake made it clear that he couldn't produce them until the demand was very high, and he felt he would have to charge £1500-£2000 per set.

The bottom line is this: If Jake relocated to the far east, he COULD re-make the forks, and probably at a consistently high quality.

I'm not for one second suggesting that India is about to see a quality classic bike spares boom. No way. I'm simply pointing out that there's no TECHNICAL reason, or FINANCIAL reason, why it couldn't happen. That's all. It's just a CULTURAL thing that India (and China) is rapidly dealing with.

A year from now, those Indian built budget girders might well be perfectly acceptable.

But like I said, I'm not sure where the argument is here.

My two cents:

Let's get the Indians to produce correct sheetmetal! They are fairly close on some items and probably will accept feedback in return for our endorsement. Their polishing and plating are far cheaper than anything we could get in the west with our environmental restrictions, and quality is adequate.

I've sent 3 Gold Star petrol tanks to Ross Thompson in Canada. Excellent work, perfect finish, at US$1200-1500 each. But next time I might buy Indian for 1/3 that price.

As for critical components like bearings, crankpins, pistons, rods, sprockets, springs, and forks? No contest- UK, USA, Europe, trusted manufacturers only. No contest there! I am planning to order a batch of M20 valves from Manley Performance in the US. Oversize intakes at 2 inches and standard-size exhaust. I want three sets, and will likely order some to offer to the Forum. These are top-quality components in modern steel alloy. When did you last break or burn a modern valve?

I would also reach out to the AJSMOC Spares Scheme and listen to their counsel. Perhaps they might consider taking on some of our trade? Especially for the vast range of brackets and pedals and such that fall between sheetmetal and crankpins? I could see a UK-based multi-marque spares scheme in the offing.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

I've been following this topic and it definitely makes for some good reading.
What this..."Let's get the Indians to produce"....stuff?

I have 17 bikes and just one of them is a BMW. All the rest of them have 'Made in England' all over them. To me quality spares are to be got from the UK or Europe, they cost a packet but they are worth it to me.
I rely a lot on NOS and spares from donor bikes in this part of the world but I still do a lotof my shopping for spares in the UK.

There is quality Indian spares to be had over here but they cost as much as it would cost to source from the UK, Europe or Stateside and then when you add the cost of shipping to the cost price, it becomes quite prohibitive. Personally, I have had sprockets, gears, spindles,valves and a few other bits and peices made here in India. Quality steel is readily available and after checking out the metallurgy, hardness etc of the original we have to chase up the bar stock to match the original or better it. Then it goes to the CNC guys..blah blah blah, the process is the same as in any other part of the world.

Since what ever spares are being made is for our/my own use a lot of care is taken to make sure that the end product-patterned off NOS- is as good as the original or better(do I hear some snickers?)metallurgically-that is and the workmanship is superb.

The reason for the poor quality stuff that originates for India is simple- you get what you pay for. If you wanted good quality spares you would have to pay a packet and the only way to drop the price would be-volume.Unfortunately at present there simply isn't a market, big enough to warrant those volumes.

So to me it should be more like 'Lets ge the Brits to produce...rather than "Let's get the Indians to produce". I still value the old "Made in England" thing

Hi Hank..I agree with all of that and it's interesting to hear an 'insiders' view of the market place in India. As I tried to point out in an earlier post if you add 'quality' and all that implies to the list of criteria there are inevitable price implications. That applies to any market anywhere. The 'price advantage' if there is one is the labour cost being lower, but I think any gain there would be outweighed by the additional logistical costs of shipping parts over a long distance and the very high 'up front' costs of setting the whole thing up (assuming that you would rather live in England than India).
It is a fair bet that anyone who has bought pattern valves lately for thier M20 is running Indian valves..they are providing the bulk of these to the UK market..and they are perfectly good components. There is no doubt that some sectors of manufacturing industry in India are producing pretty good parts...you just have to be selective.
The absolute key to this discussion is the question of volumes..this determines what production methods can be used, where the production facilities can be based etc.
If volumes were high the solutions would be easy, it would just be a case of tapping into modern mass production methods to gain the unit price benefits.
That is absolutely not the case though...demand for parts on a pure numbers basis is relatively low in most cases and is also very inconsistent.
This rules out volume production of any type in the accepted terms of 'volume'...unless someone is prepared to fill up a warehouse with a range of unsold parts and then sit back and wait for them to sell.
This fact also limits the amount of investment that can be put into any one part...a high 'up front' developement and/or manufacturing cost could take years to 'pay back' and would 'load' every component in a low volume run...For example..I was quoted £1500 to make the pattern to cast B33 barrels. If I then manufacture say, 50, that would put £30 onto every one just to cover the pattern cost. Then they need to be cast, fettled, machined (with any jigging costs added at that point), shipping and transport costs during production need to be covered and finally a realistic profit has to be applied...So how much is a new B33 barrel going to cost?...
It strikes me that it is very easy to talk about the theory of manufacturing parts but to do so in low volumes, with a well made, good quality end product that is at least reasonably affordable is pretty difficult.
As far as military motorcycles and the supply of spares for those is concerned they are often going to be produced on a 'wing and a prayer' by individuals or small businesses that are not able to consistently invest in production, are catering to a small market and could not afford to fund large scale production even if it was viable.
Accepting that, not only does the selling price of the finished product need to be affordable but so does the production cost.
It is not reasonable to imagine that anyone is going to make substantial investments into such a low volume environment where potential customers believe they should be able to buy good quality products cheaply....
That was the reason for my initial posting..to try to gauge how contributors to this forum regarded the implications of a dwindling supply of NOS and original parts, whether they had made any moves to mitigate this and whether they thought that buying good quality replica parts now as an 'insurance' against future shortages and inevitable increasing costs was a good investment.. ...Ian

I keep hearing that Indian girder forks are dangerous and made of the wrong materials etc etc. But does anyone know of an incident where these forks have broken under normal use or tested to destruction..? I don't think you can have a law suit to say they aren't fit for the job without a list of failures.

A similar thread came up recently on a forum i follow for my modern bike. But that bike is only 6 years old and people are already worried about parts availablity!!

Hi Iain..I have a Harley Sportster...Their policy is to supply replacement parts through the dealer network for 10 years from a given production year. After that some parts are still available if they have gone onto later models and not been superceded. Harley tend to upgrade their models about every 3-5 years, when quite a few parts are changed. Mine is a 2000 model and that was the year some changes were made...the next big change was made in 2004 so most parts up to 2004 will fit my model.
So, as my bike was purchased early in a 'change cycle' I effectively have spares availability for 13 years, not 10 ( 10 years after the 2003 models).
That is the case as I have had no problems obtaining parts through my local Harley dealer (usually 3-7 days) and the bike is now nearly 12 years old.
There is also a very comprehensive aftermarket supply chain for the Sportster with generally very good quality parts.
This and the relatively slow rate of change of Harley models is an advantage if you buy one and intend to keep it and this was one of the things I took into account before buying mine.
Although very off topic it would be interesting to know the policies of other manufacturers..I would think a 10 year supply of parts is fairly standard.
However, with companies that produce new models every year and constantly change the specifications how easy it is to get those parts is another question and there is little interchangeability between model years. I know many years back when I had a 4 year old Suzuki it was a lot harder to get parts for than my 51 B33.Everything went on 'back order' for weeks or months before it appeared. When they were in business BSA supplied spares for 20 years I believe...but times have changed..With Japanese bikes and others problems of spares supply for (not very) old models is the price of constant change I suppose..and keeping anything for very long is itself an outdated idea..your supposed to change to the latest model every couple of years. After all,later ones are half a kilo lighter and a nano second faster from 0-100mph.. ..Ian

My mates in the late 70's early 80's were Kawasaki mad! A couple of them worked at the local Kawasaki dealer and were always replacing there bikes for the latest model. Some of these models were only made for 6 months. Parts for these bikes now are rarer than M20 bits. I opted out of this "keeping up with the Jone's" rat race and bought a Norton

Whether you love 'em or hate 'em Harley Davidson's are probably the best example of a cult status bike. Even if Harley stopped making all parts for past models, there are numerous manufacturers that do. In fact most Harley owner change everything for non-Harley parts as a matter of course. You will always be able to get parts for your bike Ian, made by somebody or other.
Which is probably the same reason the Indian's still make parts for old single. Enfield's are a cult bike there, that's what they ride and love and are ideal for the road conditions. I can't imagine Yamaha sell many R1's there..? So there is a demand in India for big single parts. These parts are obviously adequate or acceptable to the majority of Indian buyers, and that's all they're really interested in. It's the lack of demand, and therefore manufacturers everywhere else that has meant we have had to find these suppliers in India, as the only replacement parts readily available.
I can't see the situation changing as these old British bikes are only getting fewer. It will always be enthusiasts making small batches of quality parts, that keep us on the road.

I ran an early 1976 350 Yamaha back in the 1970s. It regularly had electrical problems (diodes in the rectifier going open-circuit and that sort of thing). It also fried alternators (are they called 'alternators' because it was alternately the rotor and then the stator that gave up?)

After a couple of second hand units, I bit the bullet some time in 1981 and went into Brockliss Motorcycles and asked for a new one for my five year old bike.

The price at the time was £280 (the bike wasn't worth much more than that, they were only £650 new) and worst of all, delivery from Japan was eight weeks !

I gave up and bought a Norton (which had a soft camshaft, but that's another story - replacement soft camshafts were easily available )

Like Horror, I'd only owned 'modern' bikes up to that time and didn't see myself as a future old bike owner but I stuck with the Commando out of bloody-mindedness (I WILL get you sorted )Somehow the old bike thing crept up on me.

Anyway, back on topic.

I am starting to stockpile consumables for the 16H. I have a couple of dismantled engines that should give me a spare crank. If I find NOS cams then I'll buy. I have most of a carb on the shelf as well as next oversize piston and a spare cylinder.

I think that the next thing will be a spare magdyno to recondition as that isn't something that I can order by post and have here in a few days.

Generally, if I now see period NOS at an affordable price then I buy. As someone mentioned, it's always useful to trade, if nothing else.

Hi Rik..I may have the parts to put a recon. Norton mag together...Ian

Ian Wright
Hi Rik..I may have the parts to put a recon. Norton mag together...Ian

Oh, Good Man ! - Clockwise drive, pick-up next to the cylinder and four-bolt platform fixing ?

If so, then perhaps we can get things together for Stafford ?

It might be a chance to try out one of those new external condensors.

By the way, I met up with Jan 'Somewhere in France' a couple of weeks back and finally handed his dynamo over. I forgot it at Christmas.

Hi Rik...I've mailed you regarding a mag. Funnily enough I've just bought some of those girt countersunk screws that hold the mag to the platform....Ian

I'm doing by best, but it takes time.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but we are extending our building so that we can put another CNC mill in along with a small CNC lathe for those nuts, bolts and washers.

The extension will be for our welding and fabrication section, maybe small foundry.

Then the hardest part, trying to find a trainee.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

What an interesting thread that was...Unsurprisingly perhaps, some things have already changed in the ten years since then....I've retired for a start!:laughing:... Ian

Hoarding is a big issue in this motorcycle world.
People with only one bike with a spare magdyno on the shelf...duh
When a magdyno need a rebuilt it takes about a week to restore it.
I.ve seen spare engines and gearboxes to ...bloody hoarders🤣🤣🤣

Very slightly off topic but my thoughts about future proofing have been related to how long petrol engines will be allowed on public roads. This will not be something everyone thinks about but the ones among us who do more riding than polishing might want to.

I've been thinking about how a classic bike might be easily converted to electric while losing as little of the features that make it what it is. The vibration, smell of gas and grease, oil flowing freely over the garage floor etc, would be lost but my thoughts are more about how a conversion might easily be achieved...

I'm by no means familiar with these things but it seems to me that a suitable electric motor would be at least 10kw which I believe is about the same as 15hp (any corrections welcomed on this) and ideally have a max rpm of around 6000, but where to put it? I'm leaning towards trying to fit one inside the gearbox because that would be fairly easy to change out if ever one wished to use the engine and everything could just stay where it is now (sans clutch and primary chain). Batteries could be fitted into the paniers or with effort, a tank could be modified to act as a stow space for them and the controller. However, I'm not at all comfortable with destroying a tank. An electric rear (or front) hub appropriately disguised might also work.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this and if they have tried something similar? This would naturally not be to everyone's tastes but it's worth thinking about.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I really can't face all that, Cas...I'm aiming for a 'Red Barchetta' experience when they introduce the 'Motor Law'

On Sundays, I shall elude the 'Eyes'....

https://www.rush.com/songs/red-barchetta/

Mark Cook
I'm doing by best, but it takes time.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but we are extending our building so that we can put another CNC mill in along with a small CNC lathe for those nuts, bolts and washers.

The extension will be for our welding and fabrication section, maybe small foundry.

Then the hardest part, trying to find a trainee.

Mark
Mark,
Have you considered going the other way & looking at engineers who have been made redundent or retirees who are looking for a day or two a week ?
I would imagine there are a lot of old 1st & 2nd class machinists who are "too old" to go back to trade school & learn computerised manufacture and too young to draw a pension wasting away their remaining days on the dole because what they used to do has been ousurced to China .
Does the UK have a subsidy scheme for retraining long term unemployed ?

Some years ago we took on an ex motorcycle mechanic, on a back to work scheme Trevor. He couldn't achieve the speed and standards we required. Though he has been in almost constant employment since in the care industry. We have also "babysat" a chap through his mechanical engineering degree. We were horrified at the rubbish taught at degree level. He's now lower management in a steel manufactures.

I think the only answer once we have more space to tidy up is to start are own training school. Anita is qualified to assess work for NVQ's

Lets hope we don't have to start making munitions :(

I think it's a really interesting question Ian, a few that are connected to me on FB will know recently I got a 27' flat tanker 16H been running about on that in crazy weather over the past few weeks n apart from a few setup issues it's not skipped a beat I had to get a few bits like float needles and stuff made. Been at a stop on my WD16H as there's a few little bits I wanted to try and get about to get that fired up over the next few weeks now I've got a few connectors and stuff I was stumped on which Rik guided me onto the right stuff having to drip feed it funds wise. If it hadn't been for the kind help of members on here helping me with bits I wouldn't have made the progress I have so far so it is a really good question.

On the 1927 16H I was lucky enough to have to original hand grips which are drastically different on the inside bit that contacts the bars and vibration isolating compared to the ones I've had to fit as one of the originals was falling apart. Had a quote to remake them at £300 which I'm still looking into worth doing to get it right as so far I've not found anyone that's got an original set other than mine for a 27.

I think we are lucky enough on the WD scene to have a great group of us all that help each other out I think it's handy how some basic stuff like g&s valves bearings etc can be sourced from other marques but yep I do agree there's a few things spares wise I'd love to have on the shelf for both of my 16H's as currently I've got no spares.

I personally don't think it's to bad n the hunt is part of the fun.

Recently I had a friend with a year 2000 Suzuki Busa' n he couldn't get gear selector forks for it from Suzuki n likewise I let my Japanese classics all go for the flat tankers the price of bits on those are eye watering where as say a Commando everything is available so it's a good bike to run as a daily as is the 650ss.

I'm probably the exception to the rule as I've been using the flat tanker daily recently n that's my intention for the WD16h once shes running I reckon between us as a group effort we can keep em running n if it comes down to it fuel wise there is always Scotlands finest Whisky.

One day I'd love to learn engineering it fascinates me seeing how stuff is made and the skill that it takes reminds me of running the litho presses which I miss.

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Considering your history & background I would be surprised if you could not make the schooling thing work.
Don't know about the UK but the landlord bought a massive Adcock & Shipply No 3 universal mill with all the gear like a powered rotating table and power feed in all 3 axis as well
We then tried to find a course to learn how to use it .
The response floored me
"Unless you are an approved apprentice doing an approved certificate course you can not even enter the building "
I was 63 at the time & Shane was 60 so neither of us were ever going to be apprenticed .
So it sits here on the floor along with the 40" Servian Lathe & my Hercus 10" lathe waiting for connection to the 3 phase power.
I did metalwork in school and a tiny amount of turning during my undergraduate years but that finished by the time I was 20 .
Bought a Taiwain 4" lathe cheap & am slooooooooooooooooly building up the skill set so I might get to being a 3rd class machinist by the time I retire into a wheel chair .
Tafe is closing down colleges & begging for students and I am not alone in looking for general machining skills so to be told to piss off was totally unexpected.
Not a single machining course in the country apart the odd seminars that tool importers throw on from time to time .

Kent White started off taking in the odd person to learn stretching and roll forming.
Now you have to book into one of his classes 2 years out and TM technologies is a masive retail business.
His sodium flare reducing goggles finally allowed me to weld aluminium which I do almost daily
My next big purchse will be an English wheel as Vintage Steel have basically closed down & I have a lot of piles of rust that need new mudguardsso they might one day resemble motorcycles.
We were going to do explosive forming for obsolete motorcycle tinwear but the regulations to be adhered to, even if using capacitors & not explosives is beyond belief so that clever idea bit the dust .

This paper work thing is just stupid. I can understand that you need goals and evidence of competence for younger people. These days time served doesn't seem to count. Some of the cleverest people I've met have had no paperwork.
This is where it falls apart. If a big/expensive project has to be funded and insured, the documentation must included the qualifications of the senior management/engineers. That's why so much is screwed up!

As for your big mill, someone will have an operating manual for it. Just watch out for the rapid feeds, they can be faster than you would expect if you are not ready.

I've got a baby gear hobbing machine I purchased for oil pump drives, the maths in setting that is frightening. Fortunately I have the manuals and set up tables. Basically it's a fractional computer.

As for metal forming you need big kit. I've seen many ideas over the years and they all seemed to work. Explosive forming sounds like fun.
Using hollow moulds and water bladders is safer. Always the hardest part is mould making. I think of an English as more of a finishing tool rather than forming. I'm sure for mudguards, rollers would be the easiest way.

The biggest problem is customers only want to buy rubbish. Ask them directly and they say they want the best, then they go and buy rubbish. I wouldn't make anything if I could buy it to a good standard.

A short silly story about qualifications.
One of my Brother in laws, designed and manufactured an environmental testing chamber. You could be cooked in one corner and frozen in the other at the same time. He made a massive loudspeaker inductor to shake aircraft parts to death and many other things that I'm sure are still restricted. As normal the company changed hands a few times. The last change of ownership resulted in his pay being reduced. They had pay scales based on qualifications. When he protested, they discovered is wasn't qualified to work there! Apparently they had to reduce the testing services they offered because know one knew have to run the cell.

This is why I'm a toy maker now, trying to avoid the worlds crap. Sadly some stupid spoilt children get silly about their toys and ruin things for everyone.

Nieuwe pagina 1