Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
m20, gets engine hard to turn

hi all, i had the bike running last week, all seemed ok but i have notice a problem, after i ran the engine i went to kick it over again and the engine felt really stiff, i took off the timing cover and i notice the lock washer on the crank shaft had been wearing the brass bearing of the timing plate, so it seems the nuts not holding the crank shaft in place as the cush drive is pulling it over.

should there be a spacer or any thing els before the timing pinion goes on?

i presume when the nut and washer are fitted on the crank shaft, thees will tighten up against the timing pinion?

how far through the bearing of the timing plate should the timing pinion be?

maybe theres something missing on the drive side but behind the case?
there is a lot of side to side movement of the crank shaft, id say half a cm

its strange because to me the engine ran lovely with no smoke rattles or tappet noises,

hope you can help

regards barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Re: m20, gets engine hard to turn

There is a spacer at the drive side between the two main-shaft bearings.

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Barry..Something is definitely not right in there!
This is how it works...When the cases are put together the crank is free to 'float' within the cases, so you can pull it (a little) from side to side.
The drive side outer main bearing (the small ball bearing) is held in a fixed position in the crankcase by a circlip. On the driveside shaft, against the drive side flywheel, is the oil flinger plate, next the inner race of the drive side roller bearing. After this the main bearing spacer. This should be 1.000"-1.005" long.
When the crankshaft shock absorber etc. is fitted on the outside of the cases and tightened up it pulls the crankshaft over to that side until the flinger, bearing inner and bearing spacer come up against the fixed bearing. The crankshaft is then held in a fixed position within the cases against the (fixed) drive side bearing.
On the timing side mainshaft you have the roller bearing inner race and the crankshaft pinion.
The outrigger plate is then fitted with its bush and finally a shakeproof washer and the crankshaft nut. No spacers.
When correctly assembled with the shock absorber assembly fitted and tightened there should be no crankshaft end float and the timing side pinion nut should not contact the bush.
This nut has no function in locating the crank, but merely serves to hold the crankshaft timing pinion in place...It seems you may have an incorrect part or something incorrectly assembled/missing. I wouldn't recommend running the engine any more until you have determined what the problem is..you could do serious damage to the oil pump drive and other parts...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: m20, engine hard to turn

thanks ian and henk,
i think i need to pull the engine apart and se whats what. when i got the bike the main engine block seemed ok, i just cleaned it and flushed it out and ran oil through it, i didant do a strip down as i didant think it needed it.
parts that are out side of the engine, ie, cush set up and timing side all seem ok and right, now i just got to find out whats happening on the inside.
i new there would be something wrong as the engine sounded to good to be true, not even and oil leek.

thanks chaps
barry

Could the oil pump be binding up..? That will try to force the pinion gear outward against the spindle support plate... just a thought. The old pumps do seem to distort and bind.

JDS

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

hi john the pump turns nice and smooth.
with the cush spring removed and timing side nut, you can pull the crank shaft side to side, when pulled towards the drive side you can hear the shaft or bearing or what ever hit inside the case, would this seem normal?
also when the nut is tighten on the timing pinion gear should this tighten the timing pinion gear inwards pos against the bearing, cos it seems to go in a long way, i assume this should be almost level with the outer edge of the brass bearing of the support plate?
mine sits inside the bearing about 5mm to 1cm
thanks barry

Hummm... Best to refer back to Mr. Wright's comments regarding you very questions, as posted earlier in the thread... Nothing I could add.

Good Luck,

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Nieuwe pagina 1