Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G/box drive side oil leak.

I seem to have an oil leak dripping down the back side of the primary chaincase right opposite the final drive from the g/box. At first I thought that I had blow-by down the crankcase breather pipe, but I've turned that upwards temp to see, and it's fine. The oil is crystal clean and although the engine oil is new, it does have some colouration to it so it's not that. I've now convinced myself that it's coming from the g/box as it does need topping up from time to time, so the questions are;
1) Do I need to remove the g/box to sort it? or can I just take off the primary chaincase etc?
2) Can it be sorted without a full strip-down? (the box works fine, no issues with it)
3) Is there a breather for the g/box that could have got blocked?

email (option): jimstott51@virginmedia.com

Re: G/box drive side oil leak.

It's quite common for the oil to seep through the drive side bearing in the gearbox, with the original type sealing arrangement. especially if parked on the field stand. For this reason you should check your oil level at least every 500 miles. I cured mine with a modern sealed bearing, but removed the seal from the inner side of the bearing. Unfortunately a full gearbox strip is required.
Have a look on the technical page of this site for bearing details. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Biffo, what bike is it on?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

biffo if you dont want to strip the gearbox down till the end of the season all i do is put a small bit of wood under the primary chain case side of the rear stand to lean it over that small bit

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

WD M20, what else!

Yep, I think that you're right there, it may be left to "Develop"

Nieuwe pagina 1