1930 bsa l30-5 280842657937 not wd
1934 bsa x34-0 280842599762 not wd
wd co enfield project 170805039963
or a repro welbike for £4000.00 190650103065
all for interest only ,enjoy
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Re: few wd machines for sale

I really like these little welbikes but I can't see a repro being worth 4000 pounds. If I had one to copy I could make one for less then 500 euro

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I've actually seen one of these replica Welbikes and I can tell you, there is some serious work that has gone into them. The one I saw was terrific, the work that must have gone into the tanks and wheels alone was amazing. All the same, as you say Henk, £4000 seems a bit steep when you consider what else you could get for that money. I don't know what a real Welbike would rush you, probably more than £4000? but at least then you would have a real one. Swings and roundabouts I suppose, it all comes down to what you want and what you've got to spend?

I have no need of a replica Welbike, so no intention of defending anyone making them. But out of interest I have spoken to a guy who is making them. It wouldn't take long to rattle up £3000-£4000 at a reasonable machinists labour charges. There is another firm in UK making repro parts. A pair of fuel tanks alone would set you back £600-£700. I dare say you could build one for say 500 euro's by using a JDL engine from an Autocycle. The rest is mostly Tube and sheet steels. However the wheels are the biggest problem.
I have seen genuine Welbikes sell for £6000 plus. Lex can probably confirm.

Go ahead Henk! Make my day! Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm not sure if this is right, but someone told me that the new ones arn't road legal in the UK as they don't have mudguards and havn't been type approved, is there any truth in this?

Absolutely Bill. The originals are not road legal in UK either. It is for that reason that about 2000 that were built at the end of the war and not supplied to the WO, were shipped off to USA, where rules were a bit more relaxed. They were bought by a big department store (I forget the name). Also I gather In Holland they can be road registered. But without mudguards/lights/front brake and so on, they don't pass muster here. But I would think, with some ingenuity and a daylight MOT, I can't see a reason why you couldn't wing it........and then go out and get killed.

Ian really wants one......To prop his shed door open

Ron

I had no idea the originals were not road legal either, what a shame. Still, I'm not too sure I'd want to go too far on one, especially on todays roads!

Now that's a cracker! It will be interesting to see how much a genuine one is going to go for.

I think the store in the U.S was Sears and Roebuck, in turn a lot of them were bought up by the Shriners for their parades etc... I have been checking around but alas have not found any yet. :-(

That's a very nice Welbike and would fit my collection nicely.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes Sam. The Shriners. Some sort of cult? Most of their Welbike's seem to have been painted Baby Blue with chrome plate. Ron

hi,the scruffy looking welbike made £5080.17 on 18 bids
so someone wanted it
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

That sounds like a lot of money for a bike you can't use and needs a full restoration.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Didn't someone tell him?...you can get a proper bike for that much... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Makes you wonder what a running original (tyres and tubes replaced) Mark I pattern Welbike in excellent condition would sell for. I like having it in my airborne collection but at some point it will have to go.

It has a little smoke but guess that would be expected with a 16:1 fuel/oil mixture which was required when they produced the little machines. Especially having to haul my 190 pound weight up and down the street

http://www.visualcollector.com/Welbike/WelbikeCommentary.MOV

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

David, the fuel/oil mixture was designed around the oil availeble around that time, now you can safely go to 1/35 to 1/50 with the modern twostroke oils, no more smoke!!

Either the seller had misread the frame number, or the tanks have been changed at some point, but the numbers don't match!!

Anyone with original Welbikes, I'm putting together a database of surviving Welbikes, so please send me your numbers, frame/engine/census number (on tank)

Regards,

Lex Schmidt

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Ron Pier
I have no need of a replica Welbike, so no intention of defending anyone making them. But out of interest I have spoken to a guy who is making them. It wouldn't take long to rattle up £3000-£4000 at a reasonable machinists labour charges. There is another firm in UK making repro parts. A pair of fuel tanks alone would set you back £600-£700. I dare say you could build one for say 500 euro's by using a JDL engine from an Autocycle. The rest is mostly Tube and sheet steels. However the wheels are the biggest problem.
I have seen genuine Welbikes sell for £6000 plus. Lex can probably confirm.

Go ahead Henk! Make my day! Ron

Yes Ron, prices of over 8000 pounds for original paint Welbikes have been realized, but you should not compare this to normal bikes, after all there were only about 4500 made, and a Rolex watch is more expensive, and it has no wheels at all!!

Re. replicas there's a lot more to it than it looks at first glance, so a replica will cost some too!! a lot of difficult castings etc. and yes the wheels!!

Not that I want anything to with them, there's no history with them, just a toy. have a very nice original paint Welbike, and runs very nice!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1