Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
parts books

Hi everybody
This is my first post to the site, and the probably the first of many questions. A year ago I sent in my frame & eng. serial numbers and have perused the site since. Finally I'm beginning to sort out what I have and put together my WM20.
My question is about parts books. I have a 1940 all models book which is useful but limited. The Draganfly B3 catalog shows some exploded diagrams which helps show how parts go together, but still mixes various models, and seems to have some errors. What would be the most useful book? Henk has a DVD with a bunch of parts lists. Why are there so many? Draganfly has a WM20 1940-45 book. On the forum I saw a reference to "contract parts books". What the heck are they? Great site and thanks in advance.
PS: I'd like to hear from anyone within a few hours of Syracuse NY

email (option): siradrad@verizon.net

Re: parts books

Hi Damon..and welcome to the WD forum.
'Contract' parts lists are the wartime M20 parts lists detailing what was fitted to each batch (contract) of bikes produced. The reason there are so many is because a new list was issued for each batch of bikes. From your frame number it is possible to work out which contract (the 'contract' being between BSA and the War Office) the bike was built under.
Reproductons of most of the wartime parts lists are available and it is best to get the one that applies to your bike as through the period of the war various specifications of the bike were altered. So not all WD M20s are identical.
Wartime parts lists are not illustrated after 1940 so these early lists and the post war (after 48) illustrated ones can be useful to have. In the case of post 48 lists this is mainly helpful for the engine, gearbox and clutch assemblies. Frames, forks and wheels had been changed by the time these lists were introduced.
If you don't have the contract number for the bike you can get that simply by posting your frame number on here..someone will give you the necessary information.
The correct wartme parts list for a particular batch of bikes is identified by using this number...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, can I query your comment about non illustrated parts lists.
I have a parts list that is 'Air Publication 1657' that covers RAF contracts 10655 (1941) and 14052 (1943) That has fully illustrated plates at the back. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Ian, can I query your comment about non illustrated parts lists.
I have a parts list that is 'Air Publication 1657' that covers RAF contracts 10655 (1941) and 14052 (1943) That has fully illustrated plates at the back. Ron

This is the 'War Department motorcycle forum', Ron. Perhaps you should address your comment to the 'Air Ministry Motorcycle Forum' !

The Fly-Boys were a law unto themselves.

OOPS!...Forgot that one Ron.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1