Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanted Rear Sprocket

I've been looking around for a replacement rear sprocket for my M21. It's the 42 tooth? quick drop type. There seems to be a lot of Indian copies about. Any hints gratefully received
Cheers Pat

Re: Wanted Rear Sprocket

Hi Pat..There are UK manufactured drums available. Velocette, (no connection with the bike),in Coventry make them.
They are a trade only outlet so you will need to ring around and find a BSA dealer who stocks them by specifying UK manufacture. I would try some of the better known ones like C&D Autos, Lightning Spares and some of the Gold Star suppliers who are more inclined to go for the better quality parts. You could also try a friend of mine who doesn't sell Indian stuff and does deal with Velocette..Monty's Classic Motorcycles..01822 617010....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Pat

I bought an M20 rear drum/sprocket from Russell Motors and it fits like a glove. The guy from there said he bought an Indian copy out of interest and none of the lugs lined up!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee..Pats bike is a plunger model with the later wheels and drum. Was your drum from Russels a NOS item or a UK made replica..and how much was it?. I had an Indian sprocket that came with a job lot of spares I bought..In my eagerness to fit a 'new' sprocket and drum I didn't spot the fact it was a replica and fitted it to my own bike. Bad move..within a month 6 or seven teeth had snapped off at the root. Further investigation with a lump hammer revealed it was made from cast iron, not steel .It's probably back in India by now being made into an M20 crankpin.. ...Ian

Ian Wright
Hi Lee..Pats bike is a plunger model with the later wheels and drum. Was your drum from Russels a NOS item or a UK made replica..and how much was it?. I had an Indian sprocket that came with a job lot of spares I bought..In my eagerness to fit a 'new' sprocket and drum I didn't spot the fact it was a replica and fitted it to my own bike. Bad move..within a month 6 or seven teeth had snapped off at the root. Further investigation with a lump hammer revealed it was made from cast iron, not steel .It's probably back in India by now being made into an M20 crankpin.. ...Ian

It's a UK made replica that the guy from Russells had commissioned. He said that his Indian replica was shocking and got a firm in this country to make a batch. I've yet to ride the bike but the fit was very snug with all holes being where they should. I could be wrong, but I think it was somehwhere in the region of £65-70.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Thanks Lee...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1