Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indian made tanks and guards.

Hi Guys,
I was just reading some of your comments on the indian replica tanks.
I need to purchase an M20 Tank,Guards,and Oil Tank for a 1939 model Civilian iam building.
Just wondering if they are good quality.
Maybe someone out there has what i need for sale.
I also need a chrome front and rear wheel any ideas on the best place to get them from.
Iam in New South Wales Australia.
I have found this forum great for information as well as some parts i have aquired.
Keep up the good work guys.
Cheers.
Anthony

email (option): tony.euston@tomago.com.au

Re: Indian made tanks and guards.

ive just had an m23 tank delivered...more than happy with the quality and fit . i got the unchromed version though, not that trusting !

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

I've been waiying for a guinea pig to try out the guards for correct radious and shape.

Hi,
I bought a set of repro guards from India. I found the front one to fit reasonably well with minor tweaking.The rear needed the mounting bracket holes for the oil tank and battery carrier filed a lot to fit and when it was on the shape of the curve didnt look right. I ended up finding a rusted one and getting it repaired.Looks right now.
Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

So the radius was wrong? Which is what i was worried about. Do you still have it to take a pic on top of a wheel?

Hi,

I too am a guinea pig as the tank rear mount holes were too far forward and the rear guard curve was out all mount holes out and was too narrow
waste of money

email (option): hooperph1@gmail.com

Sorry my wheel is stripped for resto but I remember the curve of the guard looked very flat as was no where near following the shape of the wheel.

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Brandon from South Africa had the same experience with a front one...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The best repro guards I have seen come from Frederik in Belgium. ffmotoronderdelen@skynet.be
I think he gets them made in India but he must have a better quality control system. I fitted one of his M20 rears once and I did have to file the tank holes, but the shape was good. Also I had a nice 16H front from him, until I found an original. I'm also very happy with my M20 saddle cover I got from him. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The rears from Frederik are good..I fitted one up easily to an M20..However, the front wasn't correct. The 'turned up' part at the front commenced far too early and looked quite odd. I trimmed it back quite a bit and got it looking reasonable, but not correct. Really it would have to be worked on with some 'english wheels' to reshape the front to produce the correct form..
I raised the subject with him but he wouldn't have it..he said they were copied off an original guard.
I obviously don't know about M20 mudguards ..so we agreed to disagree on that point...

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Sounds like i should keep away from the guards.
I think i will try and find some old guards for repair.
I will buy a raw tank and get it chromed in OZ though.
Thanks again much appreciated.
Anthony.

email (option): anthonye1963@hotmail .com

Anthony i've been thinking about going down the Indian reproduction parts path also but not having a whole lot of money to spend on the bike leaves me shy towards protentially investing in some expensive recycled baked bean tins. I'm down in Melborune, let me know how you go with finding tinware, if i find anything i'll let you know give me a ring sometime if you like (0437 9525 87) -nick

No worries Nick.
Will do.
Cheers. Anthony.

email (option): anthonye1963@hotmail .com

Nieuwe pagina 1